Sign in to follow this  
Micro

Talking about Bluegills, Redears, Perch and Crappie

Anyone else love fishing for bluegills and shellcrackers? Not to mention the occasional yellow perch or crappie that comes with them?

For bluegills I use a 6' light action Bionic Blade rod and BPS Enticer reel with 6# test.

My favorite lure is the Strike King Bitsy Pond Minnow in just about any color cranked over beds in spring. Man, that little crank kills them. Little gold bladed, plain hook Mepps Aglias in #0 is another killer bait for me. Little Beetle Spins in black/yellow, or white knocks them dead, too.

For fishing live baits under a bobber, I use my Browning Medallion GT 6' medium with my Abumatic reel. Crickets or red wigglers on a #4 or 6 Eagle Claw Aberdeen or baitholder.

Man, it doesn't get much better than that.

My fishin' buddy showing me how to use a Bitsy Pond minner (the clip's almost as big as the bait ;D)

He's a pro

Showing me the right size Bluegill to catch...

Haven't done it in a while but love Bream fishing. There are 2 lakes pretty close Horse Shoe and Bear Creek in ARK that have Shellcrackers. Fished for them with live bait on light cane poles when younger. Man, I can still remember that smell when they were bedded up and when hooked they would take you around the durned boat. They were so thick across the back that my Momma would have to run slits from top to middle so they would cook right !

If Shellcrackers got any larger this site would be dedicated to them instead of Bass ;D...

As Ever,

skillet

I'm gonna be doing alot of it this year.Will be starting out my son with these.

I use just the simple UL 5'6 rods/reel spinning combo from walmart,bream fishing here is excellect.People have caught limits within an hour.

Crappies however i can only find once a year and that's usually late fall within a month before feeze.

Still can't find them yellow perch MI is suppose to be famous for.. ;D 3-4 years fishing here i still haven't caught one.

I like to start out every year fishing for crappie as soon as the ice is gone, or almost gone. I use two basic rigs.

The first is a 7' UL rod, a 30 dollar BPS microlite rod with a Symetre loaded with 4lb test XL. This one's for casting a small jig with a grub. Cast it out, count it down and just crank it slow and steady. I try to keep it running at the same depth for the whole retrieve. Yo-yo-ing up and down seems to select for smaller fish around here. Make a few casts, then count it down deeper. I start out at about 3 feet deep, and work my way down. I use a 1/16oz jig with a grub most of the time, but will go to a 1/32oz with a tube for tough times. A bull shot about a foot in front of the jig will get it deeper. Add another one about 6" ahead of the first one and this can be fished effectively down to about 10 feet.

The other rig is 9' steelhead rod rated for 4-8lb line with a Quantum PT spinning reel and 6lb test flouro. This rig is for slip float fishing. Bobber stop, bead, Thill slip float, slip sinker, swivel, leader and 1/64oz jig with a Bass Assassin Tiny Assassin plastic. I have it weighted so that only the tip of the float shows above the water. It's almost neutrally balanced. I use a pretty good sized float and slip sinker, so I can cast this rig a mile. It takes the 6lb flouro to set the hook at the end of a long cast. Four pound mono just stretches too much. I cast this out, let it settle for a bit than pull it about a foot and let the bait swing back down and come to a stop. Let it set for a bit and repeat. Vary the pause time and the pull length until you find what works. I start out about 4 feet deep and work my way down in one foot increments until I find the active zone. Crappie will come up to a bait, but will rarely go down to bite. It's better to be above them than below.

No matter what rig I use or what plasic I have on, I always use a Berkley crappie nibble. These things turn tasters into biters.

One more thing. Garlic will turn crappie off completely. Don't use anything garlic scented. In fact, don't even store your crappie stuff anywhere near any garlic scented baits.

When the water is cold enough that bass fishing is an extreme exercize in patience, try crappie. Lots of fun and good table fare.

Cheers,

GK

I turned a lawyer friend of mine on to fly fishing for bluegill. He offered to buy my fly rod several times that day. I ended up giving him an old set I had. We must have caught 200 gills, pumpkins & perch. Some were nice, some were tiny, but they were all a blast. I always carry a fly rod along in case I need a morale boost.

Ronnie

I turned a lawyer friend of mine on to fly fishing for bluegill. He offered to buy my fly rod several times that day. I ended up giving him an old set I had. We must have caught 200 gills, pumpkins & perch. Some were nice, some were tiny, but they were all a blast. I always carry a fly rod along in case I need a morale boost.

Ronnie

I agree. Never tried them on a fly rod but love taking my UL out with me. 3" Berkley trout worms in natural color just kill em. But so will most things that size.  ;D

Ronnie

I just bought some Yamamoto 2" Senkos in a natural color.  They are a discontinued item, so I figure about the time I realize how good they are, Yamamoto will be sold out.  I'm thinking they are going to be pure poison on gills and shellcracker.

I agree. Never tried them on a fly rod but love taking my UL out with me. 3" Berkley trout worms in natural color just kill em. But so will most things that size. ;D