Sign in to follow this  
quant PT

Elite #'s

Why do a few elite pro's have numbers on their boats and in some of their marketing kind of like Nascar drivers ( ex. Timmy Horton #1, Denny Brauer #7)?  Is this a marketing idea that only certain pro's decided to use or is it related to a certain sponsor or is there some other reason for them?   IMO this is a good idea, and it would be nice if all elite pros had one.  Fans could have stickers with their favorite pro's # on their truck, car etc to show others who they pull for.  

I am new to following pro bass fishing so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.   My sons got me into it when they had the Classic here in February ( I live near lake Hartwell).  I enjoyed it so much that we went to the Pride of Georgia and had a great time.  

Its a rather good question. 3yrs ago or so when ESPN started up the Elite, the rule of mandatory wrapped boats included  you to pick a number (like Nascar) but some did and some didn't and couldn't get together on who got what so It just got dropped for the time being. It'll eventially happen and might be based on aoy standings or... that ones taken pick another and that why denny and tim and others, have it yet.

Thanks for the answer.  It really makes sense that ESPN/BASS would push this as part of a larger effort to market the anglers.  IMO the Elite series has some of the most personable and interesting personalities in sports.

Tim Horton is my favorite elite pro.  Hopefully whatever happens he would get to keep his #1 ( maybe for being president of PAA).  I wish I could get a sticker of it for my truck.  I met him at Pride of Georgia and got a picture of him with my son - really nice guy.  

That's a good idea !

But that would be interesting if the numbers were based on the previous-year AOY standings. (as it's been said)

That would make it easier for those who don't follow the sport to figure out who's who !

I would like to see all of them with numbers. Then we could set up a one mile oval out in the middle of the lake have them all a starting position(Draw), have them come around in order, throw the green flag, and have them all run for five laps to determine the actual starting positions. When they came around the fourth turn at the end of five laps they could peel off toward their fishing locations. That would increase the attendance at the morning starting times by ten fold.  

I would lie to see that.

oh ! and half the field run the five laps the other way around.

Those who survive the 5 laps get to peel off toward their fishing holes.

I think that would increase the attendance by ten plus fold.  ;) ;D

I would lie to see that.

oh ! and half the field run the five laps the other way around.

Those who survive the 5 laps get to peel off toward their fishing holes.

I think that would increase the attendance by ten plus fold. ;) ;D

Probably wouldn't make a difference - KVD would probably win that too!

I'd most likely win it, fishing from shore  ;D

Hopefully he'll take some more points this weekend on Old Hickory lake.  :D

I hope to God the day doesn't come where the pros have #'s on the sides of their boats and people are out running around with a number on their vehicle to show for the pro they pull for.  To even compare bass fishing to a ridiculous "sport" like NASCAR is a joke to me! >:( :'(

I hope to God the day doesn't come where the pros have #'s on the sides of their boats and people are out running around with a number on their vehicle to show for the pro they pull for. To even compare bass fishing to a ridiculous "sport" like NASCAR is a joke to me! >:( :'(

I actually can't stand NASCAR, but it is undeniably the biggest sports success story in recent history.  Giving fans a way to show who they support would be good for the sport even if some people don't like it.    There are always people who don't want to see things change but for the sport to grow things will have to change.  IMO the growth of the sport ( both professionally and on the amateur level) is good for all people who love to fish weather they follow pro fishing or not.  

I was not comparing the Elite series to Nascar, but it is obvious that ESPN has borrowed ideas from other successful sports like NASCAR.   The motocross style jerseys, wrapped boats, and big weigh-ins with loud music are all things that have nothing to do with actual fishing.   They are just there to draw an audience and some people will like them and some won't.  My point was that from a marketing standpoint this was a good idea.