Sign in to follow this  
bassman1975

Want to start fishing tournaments to get to FLW or Bassmaster

Hello everyone!  I am from Southern California and want to seriously start fishing major tournaments.  I am looking for tournaments in my area that will let me get up to fish with the big boys on the Elite Series and FLW series.  At this time I don't own a boat and don't have a partner that can fish as much as I can.  What would say is the best place to start and a tournament level that I can earn some $$ and maybe win a boat.  Any ideas would be great.  Also I noticed in alot of the tournaments out here they have Team tournaments and PRO/AA or PRO/AM.  I would imagin that I would be the AA or AM because I don't own a boat.  But when they say PRO is it because that person own's the boat or because he has earned the "PRO" title.  I have yet to understand that at the level I will have to fish.  Thanks again.

Hello everyone! I am from Southern California and want to seriously start fishing major tournaments. I am looking for tournaments in my area that will let me get up to fish with the big boys on the Elite Series and FLW series. At this time I don't own a boat and don't have a partner that can fish as much as I can. What would say is the best place to start and a tournament level that I can earn some $$ and maybe win a boat. Any ideas would be great. Also I noticed in alot of the tournaments out here they have Team tournaments and PRO/AA or PRO/AM. I would imagin that I would be the AA or AM because I don't own a boat. But when they say PRO is it because that person own's the boat or because he has earned the "PRO" title. I have yet to understand that at the level I will have to fish. Thanks again.

And the amount of entry fee required. Contact some of the tackle shops in your area. They usually stock the brochures for any upcoming tournaments in a given area. Good luck, and be prepared to fish any number of ways depending on the pro you draw.

Welcome to the site

Bassman1975,

And yes, I wanted to play in the NFL when I was your age.

Still having knee problems from surgeries and arthritus but I had a great dream.

Now, to your query of how to fish the big time tournaments.

May I suggest starting at the bottom to get some name recognition?

Join either an FLW or B.A.S.S. club in your area and fish with the guys.

If  you are good, you will make the Six-Man club team and maybe the Region's 20-Man Team. People at B.A.S.S. and FLW will see your name and know who you are without you knowing it.

From there, you will work your way up the FLW or B.A.S.S. tournament ladder in one of their series in your neck of the woods.

If you are successful with these regional tournaments, you will qualify for the Elite Series.  Then it is on to the Classics.

If you check out Bass Times you can read about the local regional tournaments and how the guys perform and then compare yourself with your competition.

I do suggest saving your dimes and quarters and securing a bass boat for the tournaments.  Fishing as a non-boater is not very productive if you want to move up the pro fishing circuit ladder of success.

Read Ike's book, Fishing on the Edge, to see how Ike moved up to the B.A.S.S. professional side.

Go to Woo Daves' website and ask Woo or his son about fishing as a pro.  Woo is a great guy and his son is still in there fighting in every tournament he fishes.

I am not going to talk about funding your dream but please start saving as you will need a boat if you want to move up in the standings.

All the best and I sincerely hope you make it.  :)

Join a club and compete in some regional tournaments for small money (30-50 buy ins).  You will learn a lot in a hurry.  If you jump into a higher buy-in FLW tourny with little/no tournament experience you might as well kiss that money goodbye.

Call around to lakes and ask about tournaments. I know the lakes around Alabama regularly have tournaments but Im not sure as to which ones can get you a seat in FLW or Bassmaster. I am so lucky enough to spend the next three years of my life on Auburn's bass team and through that I have the opportunity to make it to both of those.

I'd suggest fishing some of the co-angler flw tournaments, like the bfl's and stren series. These the pro's are only pros because they have a boat and pay higher entry fees. This might be a good place for you to start.

I'm heading to the BFL as a co-angler in the LA/TX division next year.  By 2010 I should have the money to spend on a high end boat and I'll be hitting the BFL as a boater and the ABA as a co-angler.  I still have a lot to learn, but I feel that I know enough to be competitive.

A challenge is looking for sponsors to help take some of the financial pressure off.  Lures, rods, reels, line, and entry fees are a big help.  I'm on the hunt for a few right now and have targeted a few specific companies that I would like to be affiliated with before I start spamming my fishing resume all over the internet.

As far as getting ready for the tournaments, new hooks and new line are a MUST for every single tournament.  Checkign split rings, sorting out necessary tackle from the excess, organizing gear, and simplifying it (since you are fishing out of a stranger's boat you don't want to bring too much) is something that is going to be a bit different from weekend fishing.

I recommend the BFL or ABA to start off with.  Both seem like great organizations with good, localized competition.  Joining a club is a good idea as well.

Can't help you get started but will encourage you to ignore the folks that are negative.  I remember as a kid telling my dad I was going to be in the Olympics.  He just laughed and said yeah right.  Folks always gave me grief.  Well, I never quite made it but got real close.  Was on the world cup for a few years and currently judge on the world cup.  Sole reason I judge is to work with the younger kids coming up to help encourage them.  Don't ever give up on your dream.

I will tell you that any opportunity you get to hang out with tournie anglers will be a huge help.  You'll learn a lot just by being around them.  You'll also start to develop the same mindset that they have.

Save up your $, don't get frustrated, fish and learn as much as you can but don't ever give up.