Sign in to follow this  
basspro96

BFL if your under 16

I want to fish a volunteer BFL tourney this year but I am only thirteen. I would go into it as a co angler. Just want to know what are expected. And I know all of yall will say I am too young. But I have a passion. I dont care if I dont make the cut I can say I have fished with the big boys.

This is straight from the BFL rulebook:

"Participation is open only to tournament members of FLW Outdoors who are 16 years of age or older."

Sorry basspro, but you're going to have to wait a few more years.

But it also states if you have an adult to sign for you you can.

Here is a fuller quote from the "Participation" section of their rules:

"Participation is open only to tournament members of FLW Outdoors who are 16 years of age or older. Any person entering a tournament under the age of majority must also have the signature of their parent or legal guardian in the provided space on the entry form."

I believe the term "under the age of majority" is what is giving you false hope.  The age of majority is 18.  So, according to the rules, you must be at least 16 to fish the BFL, but if you are 16 or 17 you must have the signature of your parent or legal guardian.

Sorry, but this just gives you more time to practice!

There is a lot to the BFL. Money, lodging, transportation, most boaters want you to dump them in and pull them out. So you have a couple obstacles at that age unless your parents will be willing to throw $100 for sign up, $20-$30 in gas for the boater, gas for your vehicle depending how far you live away (for me it is about $70 in gas), hotel/lodging ($40-$80/night)(Campground (some around $30 for a weekend), Food, and FLW membership fee. I may be missing some things, but this is the majorty.

EDIT: I just noticed the word volunteer. These costs would mostly be for a regular BFL, but you will experience some of them even with the volunteer. Can anyone link a site explaining this volunteer BFL.

Basspro, sorry to dash your hopes, but the rules say no one under 16.

The only advice I have for you is to call your BFL tournament director and talk to him.  Let him know how serious you are and what you have accomplished.  See if there is any way that he knows of to get you in there.

Good luck bud.

Get a job now and start saving for the BFL series. If you're going to to do it, run with it. I made a vacation out of all my Weekend Series T's this year. Would go up for the week before, spent 3 straight weeks on Champlain fishing with a couple buddies and just had the summer of my life. This year for me to fish the Weekend Series it cost me $450 for entry fees, and everything else about $400, plus I had some sponsors  ;)  .  

The knowledge you will gain is amazing, and you will also learn where you stand when it comes to fishermen in your area. The result may surprise you.

There is a lot to the BFL. Money, lodging, transportation, most boaters want you to dump them in and pull them out. So you have a couple obstacles at that age unless your parents will be willing to throw $100 for sign up, $20-$30 in gas for the boater, gas for your vehicle depending how far you live away (for me it is about $70 in gas), hotel/lodging ($40-$80/night)(Campground (some around $30 for a weekend), Food, and FLW membership fee. I may be missing some things, but this is the majorty.

EDIT: I just noticed the word volunteer. These costs would mostly be for a regular BFL, but you will experience some of them even with the volunteer. Can anyone link a site explaining this volunteer BFL.

Robby, I think he is meaning the Volunteer division of the BFL's.  It's a division that is Tennessee based.

Yes, I was thinking about it today and just figured it out. my mistake! Thanks for all of your input. And I was only going to fish the ones less than one hour from my house,and yes that would be and obstacle. Oh well, I will just stick to the local tourneys and my jr club tourneys. Once again thanks!