Sign in to follow this  
geckert

Tournament Insurance

OK starting the year out as a boater this year and just trying to get a little information on which insurance everyone is using and why you chose that company over another.

Thanks

Progressive.  They offer full REPLACEMENT.  Inexpensive.  Good coverage.  Plus, I really dig the girl with the souped up name tag. ;)

WOW I was beginning to think that no one here really fishes tournaments or that everyone is a co and doesn't worry about insurance ;). Thanks man I will give them a call for some more info.

My personal boat insurance is with USAA.

Guys in my bass club use Farm Bureau, State Farm and Progressive.

When getting a few quotes be sure to tell the agent you tournament fish and that you want the liability and physical damage coverage to cover tournament fishing.

Remember one of the three major rules of Risk Management:

Don't Risk a Lot for a Little.

This means that you should procure $1,000,000 of third-party liability. If nothing else, it is sleep insurnace. And the cost is nickles and dimes over the standard $300,000 limit.

A lot of strange things can happen on the water, and fast, so protect yourself and your assets.

Just a word to the wise.  ;)

Just a few things about insurance:

- Make sure you have enough. I learned the hard way by insuring my boat for what I paid for it ( I got a really good deal) and when it went up in flames I only got that same amount of money and I couldn't even hardly recoup all of my tackle! Also have a rider to cover tackle. I now have full replacement coverage. I might pay a little more but if I need it, which I hope none of us ever do because it is no fun, I know I will be taken care of instead of having to scrap together every nickle and dime to get back what you had.

- Also, in 2008 atleast, one major tournament organization ( I won't name names) has changed their verbage in their rules and regs to state that a boater must only have " a reasonable amount of coverage." My travel partner learned the hard way just what that ment. He was fishing as a non boater and got in a boating accident during a tournament and since his boater did not have the typical 100k liability he has barely gotten his medical bills covered. >:(

$1,000,000 of third-party liability coverage.

It is cheap.  ;)