Sign in to follow this  
jack1

BASS vs FLW

The classic is coming up, so I went to both sites to read up on the two groups.  I didn't really find the answers I was looking for, so can you explain the difference between the two?

[movedhere] General Bass Fishing Forum [move by] five.bass.limit.

Not much. Lots of the pros fish both.

Not sure what you are looking for. They have a pro side and (Sometimes) a co-angler side. A pro and a co-angler share a boat but are not fishing against each other. Cost of entry is sizable for the pros and a little cheaper for the co-anglers. Therefore, the prize monies will vary accordingly.

Most of the larger circuits fish a day or two and cut down the field on days three and/or four. Some cut the field to 50 on day two or three and then if a four day tournament they will cut it to the top ten or twelve.

You can enter online, by mail, or in person; however, check the rules, as many require you to pay before prefishing.

B.A.S.S is owned by ESPN and that is what you'll see on ESPN2. "the bassmasters" is what the show is called.  The B.A.S.S pro circuit is called the Bassmaster Elite Series.  I don't usually follow FLW but I got nothing against it.  I think BASS gets more press time and clout.  FLW was founded by Forrest L. Wood who also founded Ranger Boats.  That's why you'll see all the FLW pros driving Ranger.  The Bassmaster Classic is a B.A.S.S event which only B.A.S.S pros can qualify for.

Not to split hairs here--but I believe it was founded by Irwin Jacobs and he named the circuit after Forest L Wood.

Let me know if I'm wrong---I know someone here will be glad to!! ;D

Having fished both the B.A.S.S Elite and FLW Tour as a Co-angler in 2008 I can speak to a couple of differences after chatting with the guys I fished with.

B.A.S.S Elite is a qualification tour only. You have to work your way into that level through the Opens, etc... You can not just put down the entry fee money and fish. They have done away with Co-anglers for 2009 though.

FLW Tour is not a qualification only tour. You can buy your way in if you have the fees to run your own boat and compete. They do however give priority to guys in their FLW Series events, Stren Series, etc... but there seem to always be some open spots for the weekend warrior with some extra cash to fish against the best. They also still allow Co-anglers to fish (which is a nice difference in my opinion). The events generally have 200 boats compared to about 110-120 in B.A.S.S. and the payouts in FLW seem to be larger on average but I attribute that to Wal-Mart being behind it as the primary sponsor.

After fishing the Florida tournaments in 2008 I felt as if the guys on the FLW tour were more patient and personable than those on the Elite series. It seemed like the Elites were a little high on themselves and had a bit of an ego. I can't say I beleive either is the best as both have some great fisherman and on any given day anyone can win.

I look forward to the FLW tour making its way back to FL so I can fish again with them since the Elites dropped the co-anglers.

Not to split hairs here--but I believe it was founded by Irwin Jacobs and he named the circuit after Forest L Wood.

Let me know if I'm wrong---I know someone here will be glad to!! ;D

Oops. you're pobably right  :-X