Sign in to follow this  
bassmaster3000

Open Bass Tourneys

Hey,

Do you need a boat that follows special rules for open bass tourneys? We have a 12' Aluminum, And a lake around here has an Open Bass Tourney soon.. ANY ADVICE WILL HELP!!!

THANXZ!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Hmmm.  Most people will be glad to have you as they assume that if you have a small boat, they will automatically take your money.  I've never heard of a hp minimum.  There should be a contact # or e-mail for the host of the tourney, can you google for it?

Almost all tournaments will require you to have livewells tho, you got that?  Before I got my bas boat, I used a big cooler with an "oxygenator".

It will depend on what opens you want to fish. If it is an open on TM only lakes or smaller lakes where you can get around I am sure there will be no problems. Two things you usually need for tournaments that come to mind is a functioning livewell to hold a good sized limit and insurance on your boat/liability. I think most tourney's require $100,000 coverage. I personally love when someone shows up to a tourney with a deep V and an ugly stick and takes home the money.

It depends on what tourneys you are fishing.  Most do require you to have an "installed" gas tank.  In other words, you can't have a gas tank you carry to boat and connect it.  Most tourneys do have a length and horsepower minimum for safety reasons (both clubs I was in had a minimum).  Livewells are also mandatory.  Make sure you read the rules or ask the tournament director.  And also, as someone else stated, there usually are insurance requirements as well.

An oxygenator is an aerator that puts dissolved oxygen in the water.  I think they still sell them at Gander Mt. and BPS or Walmart may have them.  They're kind of expensive though so if it's just for this one time, any aerator will work.  Otherwise, an oxygenator is great.  Good luck in the tournament.

In Washington State we require these things...

Insurance for all boats:

100,000 for 50 mph or less

100,000-500,000 for 50 mph or above

Aerated Livewell

Operational Killswitch

Up to date Rescue Flares

Air-electric horn/whistle

PFDs while the motor is in gear

Throw cushion

For all tournament boats must have a Tournament banner on the motor cowling

Tournament must have a permit from the W.D.F.W.

Also if it is a two day event, Live fish counts are kept and if day one has a 10% mortality the event is cancelled for day two. The T.D. must then send a form into W.D.F.W. showing catch totals and man-hours to the dept. within 30 days of conclusion.

Whew!!!!!! :P

In Washington State we require these things...

Insurance for all boats:

100,000 for 50 mph or less

100,000-500,000 for 50 mph or above

Aerated Livewell

Operational Killswitch

Up to date Rescue Flares

Air-electric horn/whistle

PFDs while the motor is in gear

Throw cushion

For all tournament boats must have a Tournament banner on the motor cowling

Tournament must have a permit from the W.D.F.W.

Also if it is a two day event, Live fish counts are kept and if day one has a 10% mortality the event is cancelled for day two. The T.D. must then send a form into W.D.F.W. showing catch totals and man-hours to the dept. within 30 days of conclusion.

Whew!!!!!! :P

The cancellation of a second day seems a little extreme. JMO

Seen as a built in safety valve to promote safe handling of the resource....most trouble seems to be when deep patterns prevail or during the hot months.

Alot of our opens are one day events except on the east side of the mountains.