Sign in to follow this  
Bassnajr

Becoming a Professional Bass angler...is fishing talent enough??

Hey all....

I have read on these forums many folks asking about becoming a pro bass fisherman, submiting their resumes, etc. aiming high at their dream. I must say at the beginning that I have no illusion about becoming a bass pro. I am too old anyway!!!! I know local guys who have more fishing talent in their right pinky than most of us have in our entire bodies....but they can't make it to the "Big Show", whatever level that may be in their world. I equate it to golf, as I do many things...I have personally known guys who made it to the PGA tour, but couldn't hold on. Others who never made it, but are way better golfers than some people we watch on TV every week. I guess what I am asking/saying is this: In the big scheme of things, is having money, connections, personality, (charisma) available time on the water, and a money backer along with being an adequate/good fisherman more important than pure talent????

Opinions, comments?????  :-?

ajr

Pure bass catching talent will carry you a long way but in the end it's about selling yourself to sponsors AND carrying out your sponsorship commitments WHILE catching fish and placing well in tournaments against the best in the world. Just qualifying to fish on the Elite Tour takes a ton of talent. Staying on the Elite Tour and making a good living doing it takes even more talent.

I'm not sure of the #'s but there are several guys each year that win the chance to stay on the Elite level and many of those guys opt out. Probably not because of lack of fishing talent, though.

I believe that you have a little bit of everything you just describe to even consider being a pro.

No, fishing expertise is not enough.

You need:

Good education, like college.

Excellent communication skills.

Dress professionally.

Strong financial backing.

Lots of success.

People liking you, especially the guys and gals in your club; your federation; ESPN; sponsors; other fishing pros; and fans.

There are no "Kyle Bushes" in pro fishing.

And...knowing what you are doing as each body of water throughout the country is different and challenging.

Look at the number of professional bass fishermen in the Classic or various tournaments.  Now, look at the most successful ones.

How can you emulate their success?  You can do so by reading their bios. Studying their habits. Going to various tournaments and speaking with them.

Look at the odd of you being a successful bass professional fisherman.  It is slim and none.

But don't ever stop chasing your dream.  You don't have to be on the level of VanDam or Ike or Reese this week.  Maybe in five years you can start to rise to their levels.

Don't be impatient.  Get that education.  Get that masters degree in fisheries biology.  Study.  Look.  Learn.

And most of all....don't make enemies of anyone as you go up the ladder.  You never know who you will need as you come back down the ladder.  ;)

its was my dream for many years to become a pro-bass fisherman. but honestly i think alot of it now inst bout fishing any more. its more about images and such. i mean it really disappoints me. i still love tourney fishin, but i dont think if you have the finances or the backing its gonna be very hard. i mean i work full time, and there's no way i regular employer would let you off to fish every single tourney. and that's what you need to do to get that end of year weight and standings. its a really hard thing to do and you are doing it right now you should feel really blessed. good luck and see ya out on the water.