Sign in to follow this  
GKramer

Rod length limits previously set by tournaments

Not quite a tourney issue, but if you ignore rod locker length or other transport issues, how do you feel about bass rods longer than 8 feet? I have three 8-foot Cabo PTs that I use with 6-pound for under-spins and Road Runners and they provide such an edge from the back seat.

But over the course of the day, I wish they were 6 inches longer on the butt end, and I'm thinking, I could create a little extension with butt cap that will make this an even better rod. But, of course, I would be able to remove it, for competition.

But does anyone else feel cramped by that archaic tournament rule that dates back to Dee Thomas who had to cut down his tule dipping rods to create the first flippin' stiks? :-/

Thanks.

Lots of good steelhead rods available at 9' that could be used today.

Dee's original rods didn't have reels and were 14' as I recall. B.A.S.S made the rule, Dee still won several events with the shorter rods and reel mounted.

It would seem that the western circuits could do whatever they want, why lock step with B.A.S.S. who could care less about western bass fishermen.

WRB

Yes, the 8-foot rule was the BASS standard. But the Western Bass Fishing Association actually had the first standard: 7 1/2 feet, as were the first Fenwick fiberglass Flippin' Stiks. To appease the complaintants, the director asked Dee what was the shortest rod he could use and still flip--7-8 was the length.

Changing the rules is always simpler said than done. But for sheer angling, that longer stick is sure a help.

And I've used some steelhead rods, 9 and 10 footers, but they tend to be soft, tip heavy, and two-piece. :P

I believe the compliant was jack poling the bass out of heavy cover being unsporting. You can't do that with a keeper using light action 8'+ rod. Have WON make up the GK rule;  9' rods allowed if the line doesn't exceed 6 lb., before the US open.

WRB

[movedhere] General Bass Fishing Forum [move by] five.bass.limit.