Sign in to follow this  
skeetermike

Have a tourn. ?

The question is would u recomend pre-fishing for a tournament or not?  I've done both in the past but most of the time I pre-fish.  Course the down side is catching the fish u might not catch come the tournament.  I've got a local tourn. coming up and know the lake well enough, feel like I know what I'm going to throw most all day long.  So why would I need to pre-fish for it?  Truth is there will be plenty of pressure before hand.  How bout u low_budget I know u used to catch some real pigs?  

[movedhere] My Fishing Tournament or Outing [move by] five.bass.limit.

To solve the problem of hooking up just try clipping the hook point. The fish will still hold on long enough for you to realize the approximate size. And she will be there for you when you come back.

Just be careful about sticking your fish prior to the tournament. I love it when guys tell me they caught a ton of fish the day or two before a tournament. You can go ahead and cross them off the contender list.

If you know the lake well you probably don't need to prefish. What concerns me is your statement that you know what you will be throwing all day long. That is a gameplan for disaster.

What concerns me is your statement that you know what you will be throwing all day long. That is a gameplan for disaster.

Exactly what I was thinking. But if you already know this and are 100% sure it will hold up, I wouldn't bother with practicing.

Understandable guys... but this time of yr in ARK especially with the temps calling for low to mid 90's all this next week there are only a few things that may work.  My ideas of what to throw were pretty much the same as most of the other tourn. guys.  Big bulky topwater for the 1st hour, then either c.rig or Texas rig something in deep water preferable around structure.  I may throw a deep diving c.bait some or pitch a few stums with a big bulky jig too.  Now if the weather is rainy all day this could obviously all change.  On this lake the name of the game is patience cause it gets the pressure.  Lake is around 1100 acres and will have around 100 boats on it.  Tourn. is from 6a-2p.  Then as if thats not enough it has  a club tourn. on it that night from 6p-midnight.  Day tourn. is a big fish tourn. hourly.  

I would recommend pre fishiing the tournement. if you are worried about  not catching the fish later in the tournement take all your hooks off. and just see if ur getting hits in your spot. if  not try a different artifical bait.

J

If you know the lake well you probably don't need to prefish. What concerns me is your statement that you know what you will be throwing all day long. That is a gameplan for disaster.

I don't know, one of the lakes I fish has loads of matted grass. If I know its going to be a hot day with little cloud cover and calm wind, I know ahead of time that I'll be throwing frogs all day. I think if you know a lake very well, its possible to know what you are going to be using all day before you even get there.

i would still do your practice, like others have said clip your hooks, or you can usually shake a fish off. But get your confidence up by prefishing the areas and making sure the fish are there. confidence is huge when fishing so anything you can do to boost that is a good thing. Best of luck!

Well update time.  I never pre-fished that tourn. and placed fish in 3 of the 8 hrs.  I made $160.  My partner, my dad, caught the biggest fish of the day at 5.3 on that lake and won $100.  Now let me explain this tourn was on 3 lakes at one time.  you simply chose the lake u would fish even though you compete against the guys on the other 2 lakes.  It's only a big fish tourn/hr.  I guess that goes to show u don't have to pre-fish if you know the water.  I was beat outa money twice by a total of .05 OZ!  I lost 30 bucks one hour by only .01 OZ!  :'( SUCKS!  

As for as practicing, I have messed up in both college tounrys I fished this year by hooking too many fish in practice. we got there and we already caught all the good fish so it can be bad.... and some times a clipped hook wont help if they swallow it.

congrats on the good finish.