Sign in to follow this  
fourbizz

I dig my new pond

I got permission to fish this little 125X125ft pond a few weeks ago. The water is nasty, there is only 2 places to cast from and even those are cramped, its real snaggy, full of hydrilla, AND EVERY FISH WEIGHS BETWEEN 2 AND 3 POUNDS! It is sweet. I have caught 1 dink and got broke off by a good fish, but other than that all 30+ fish have been between 2 and three. They like jigs. Here is one of the average fish at 2-9. They fight harder pound for pound than any other largemouth I have ever been around. The 5+ that broke me off (wrapped around a log)pulled much harder than my 13-1 on the same rod! These guys are a blast!

fffff003.jpg

You gotta love the small ponds...great fish

Sounds like a blast.  Do you know if anyone else fishes the pond?  If not, I bet you could throw in anything with a hook in it, and catch a couple bass.  I fish a pond like that once in a while.  Lots of fun.

no one else fishes it. but it is actually a pretty tough bite with most stuff. its never real fast paced but it is usually good for 5 or 6 fish in an hour or two.

I got this idea today to try and catch fish with a dill pickle on a hook.  Then when you get someone who doubts you, you can say I'll bet you $$ that I can catch a bass on a dill pickle.  Easy money to be had if you can do it.  Long night last night.  :o

Last time I fished the little pond I fish, jigs were all the bass wanted as well.  But in the summer I was catching them on all sorts of stuff.  Thick weeds though, so no cranks or trebled lures.  Just senkos, ribbontail worms, jigs, and spoons.  I caught 17 bass in 3-4 hours. Biggest being 3lbs or so.