Sign in to follow this  
Mrs. Matstone

I love my waders..

Today we decided to head out to Lake Minsi. It was sunny out with blue sky above and very very windy. Temperature was 41 degrees which may not have been so bad except for the wind. Water temperature was about 46 degrees. The only thing we got at Minsi was blown all over the Lake so we decided to leave there and hit my favorite honeyhole.

I decided to fish the drop-off that I found the other day when I was out wading. I used a Case Helgrammite on a jig head again and this time I used Cb's new shad scent and once again my new finesse light rod from Jb. I swear this rod is awesome. You can feel every little thing. I should have got a custom rod a long time ago..  

I was holding the rod under one arm while trying to dig something out of my pocket. I then went to move the rod and felt it pull. Wow! I got a fish!   ;D  I started pulling it in and  it felt very heavy to me. I did not realize how big it was till it got up close to me. Then I was excited.  ;D I watched this fish try to swim under a few big rocks on the way in but I managed to steer it clear of them. Finally I got it close enough for me to try and grab and it circled around and swam right beteween my legs and tangled me up in my own line.  >:( It was quite an experience to hold a fish that is tangled beteween your legs and wade into shore but I did it. I ended up with 1 fish all day but it was still an awesome day.. ;D ;D  Can't wait until the temps start warming up a little.

My 1 fish for the day.

NpigBBB.jpg

Tried to get a pic so you could see the length.

Piglength.jpg

Sending her back.. she took a while but finally swam off.

PigreleaseBBB.jpg

I love my new waders.  ;D

wow, awesome outing and nice pictures

i always enjoy reading ur posts

continuous success 2 u!!!!

wow what a toad!!!!

congratulations!!!!!!!!!

is that a new PB for you? did you get any measurements on it?

Nice fish! Nice pics!

swam right beteween my legs and tangled me up in my own line.

I wade quite a bit, and smallies do that all the time. They seem to love legs for emergency cover. I have yet to figure out how to defend against it. :-/

Dude.......those waders are lucky.  2 trips with them in early spring and you're smackin' bass like that???  I need a pair I think....

Any idea of that fish's weight?  Doesn't matter, she's beautiful, just wondering.

8-)

Thanks guys. It was a good catch for me and I was very surprised to catch it. The bite was tough all day long. The fish were out there but were very picky. This fish was my first and last bite all day. I looked at my reports from the past few times that I have been out lately and one thing that has been pretty consistant is they have all been late afternoon fish. Around 3:00pm and later the bite has been more active. Days seem to have been sunny and very windy. Water temps have been in the 40's. Not sure what that all amounts to but it has been one consistant thing about the past few times I have been out.

out of Curiosity what kind of custom rod is that or what does Jb stand for

Jb is the guy that I got 2 new custom rods from at the sportsmans show in Va. a few months ago. I got a finesse light rod and another one for carolina riggin which I have yet to try. I am surprised at the amount of sensitivity a good rod has. I am starting to be able to tell the difference beteween things underwater. I swear you could feel a fish fart as they go by.  ;D

is that a new PB for you? did you get any measurements on it?

No it is not a PB for me. I measured the space that I filled in on the rod when I got home and I filled in 22.5 inches in length. There was about 6 inches per side. Not sure what that amounts to.

My biggest fish was this one I got it last year.

Nbiggest1.jpg

I also got this fish at the same place I got the newest one.

sun + wind = afternoon bite

Finding the exact same thing here.  I actually bumped todays outing from 11 to 1 to try and max that window. :)  Great minds....... ;D

sun + wind = afternoon bite

Finding the exact same thing here.  I actually bumped todays outing from 11 to 1 to try and max that window. :)  Great minds....... ;D

Good luck out there today.  :)

real nice fish.  congratulations. :)