Sign in to follow this  
BassChaser57

Lake Fork Trip Report

Our Lake Fork trip was one of the best on record with lots of action and some nice fat bass. The weather was nice for the most part with air temps ranging from 50 to 85 and the water temps 55 to 69. The water was high and the gates were open so we had to deal with a falling water pattern along with stained water below the 515 bridge.

There were some different patterns and baits that worked. Early and late we worked the grass and picked up some nice bedding buck bass in about 4-5 feet of water which was about 10 feet from the shore. With the stained water and visibility about 2 feet there were FEW bedding bass visible so we would blind fan cast hoping to connect, and we did. Toward the end of the trip we did find some bedding bass in 2 feet of water so we loaded up on those. Watching the bass pick up that bait and move it off the bed is always awesome. The lighter bass (up to 5 pounds) were the shallow visible bedding fish and the bigger bedding fish were deeper.

As the morning progressed we would target the pre and post spawn mamas that had pulled off the shore waiting for the next wave of spawning. We would start at about 20 feet and work our way into about 10 feet flipping every visible bit of cover. With as many as 6 boats covering ¼ mile of shore we knew the poor shoreline bass would be way too pressured to be active. We saw very few shoreline bass caught except early and late. We actually caught our shallow bass at and after dark with us being the only boat we could see anywhere.

Another pattern that worked was to pull off to the main lake points in 30 feet of water, look for shad balls on the electronics, and target bass laying in ambush under the shad. We had some great action but did not connect with big fish with this but caught up to 4 pounders so it was fun. We did this in post frontal conditions with high skies and still water so the deep bass were not as skittish.

The baits that worked well were jigs and plastics in black/blue, and watermelon red flake. Flukes, lizards, and creature baits in shallow with the jigs being the best producers in deeper water. We would catch on the fall and swimming the bait. Texas style and weighted hooks both worked well for the plasticsl.

There were lots of fish 11+ pounds caught in the local area and a share-a-lunker caught while we were there. This trip produced bass up in the 8's for me and some good numbers so it exceeded expectations. My wife Tera enjoyed the trip so much we went home, bought an rv, and leased an rv lot on Williams Branch. We are headed back for two weeks in May and will be staying there starting in October for much of the winter and spring.

Lake Fork is still lake lottery to me as I know I could hit the jackpot of a lifetime with the next cast.

BC57 < : )>><<

P.S. To The Mods--You may want to move this as I did not know which place to post this.

This thread is worthless without pics :)

Why didn't you tag along & take pictures?

Excellent report  ;)

This thread is worthless without pics :)

Why didn't you tag along & take pictures?

Excellent report ;)

Its a joke.

It was a great report and means I am jealous and want to see pics. Lake Fork is a unique lake and one that I love to fish.

I didn't mean for that to come off as cold. It is a common saying on another forum that means you are interested and want to enjoy some pics. Congrats on a great trip. My very first cast on Lake Fork was 6 years ago and it was a 7 pounder on a red rat-l-trap. I didn't catch a fish the rest of the day!

HERE ARE THE PICS!!!

Close your eyes, imagine a nice fat, wet, hawg with fat belly and pretty green colors and if we are imagining---the guy with the big grin holding the hawg only looks like Brad Pitt--really it is me.

Seriously, I need to have an 8yr old kid go with me to photograph and post all the goodies as he would be better at the computer stuff than me. I get to go back in a couple of weeks so I will try to do better on the report. I like the sound of this---remedial fishing--can I go to summer school too?

8-)

Great trip man.  I grew up 20min from lake fork and i just loved it.  You get excited with every bite thinking that it may just be the fish of you life.  I haven't been there since Feb, seeing that i now live in north texas, hows the vegetation looking?  There was absolutely no green in the lake when i was there last.