Sign in to follow this  
harshman

Sight fishing with a crank bait........

Is this a legit pattern or did I misinterpret what I was doing?

I was able to find some small males guarding the nests yesterday in a local lake fishing from the bank and would cast a shallow running Normans Mad N read ear crankbait about 20 yards past the nest and that would be where the hungry female was waiting with an open mouth. Most of the fish I caught were 17"- 18" long ......and of all days I didn't have a camera.

Harshman

Sounds like you had a legit pattern going to me.  :)

With a real aggressive male, running "anything" through the nest like that really makes them angry.  I've never done it with a CB before, but that sounds like a real legit pattern to me.  You caught the fish right???

yea i have done that before with a real aggresive male guarding the bed i just like to tick them off alot just the other day for instance

-i fished a senko for it for about 10 mins and annoyed it alot got some tugs but set the hook to soon

-then whipped out a crank for 5 mins just would cast past it then bring it in extremly fast at the bass then stop right in front of it and then go past it slowly and would dig into the bed and screw around in there

-and sooner or later i knew i was going to get it, and i did lol i was stoked for such a small fish lol but it was worth it ;D

Shhh.... one of my secrets for catching spawning bass (Especially if their bed is near a stump, log, or rock).  :-X

Dude, I pitch cranks to cover and brush.  Makes it rough when you catch the trebles in the hand though.  There is no wrong way to fish a crank.  Glad you got on them. ;)