Sign in to follow this  
kms399

a humbling experiance on lake vermillion

I went to lake vermillion this weekend and man did I get owned! in 4 days of fishing I caught a grand total of 6 fish 4 of which were walleye. I just couldn't find them I looked shallow, deep, weedy, rocky, I fished docks and nothing. we decided to come back a day early. this morning I went to an old favorite and I am glad I did. the wind was about 10mph north east and it was 45 degrees when I launched the boat. i didn't have any hope. then on my 3erd cast i caught a decent 2 pounder then on my 5th cast I caught another, then my brother caught one we were killing them! in 3 hours of fishing we caught around 30 bass and a northern all on baby -1's throwing them over lilly pad field that hadn't grown up yet. our biggest was 4 lbs 9 oz and we had alot of 3 pounders so it was a good day not many dinks. I guess I should have fished around here and saved the gas.

Live and learn.

Two thoughts on your trip.

First, did you have the opportunity to study any maps of the lake? Did you talk to any of the locals on where to fish and what to throw?

Second, maybe next time you may want to invest in a guide on the lake, if there is one, to show you the best places to fish, the best baits, best techniques, etc.

What you encountered is what we all encounter during our fishing experiences. Some of us encounter it more than others. ;D

Man I researched this lake for 3 months, I compared it with my gps and google earth. I have the lakemaster chip in my gps with 3 foot depth contours of the lake and after all that every spot i marked as having potential was lacking fish. i barely marked anything as i drove around the lake I know the water was cold it was 58 degrees most places I did find a sweet looking spot that was 61 degrees and looked perfect for holding fish. I fished it for 3 hours and had one little small mouth about a pound I was fishing pretty slow I used senko's, baby -1's, tubes, lizards, spinnerbaits even topwater and just couldn't get a strike. I don't get it.

we did manage a few small walleye but they were incredibly boring like reeling in a shoe.