Sign in to follow this  
farmpond1

Picky picky picky

Yesterday I went out to Mill Creek Lake (in Illinois) with a buddy and his dad. They've been scoring on bass with white skirt, tandem silver 3/8 oz Colorado blade spinnerbaits. It was no accident that I am being so descriptive as any other lure or spinnerbait color/blade type, etc. simply wouldn't do. And even then, you had to work the lure just right to get the bass to hit. I emulated my friends technique as best I could and yet he and his dad were out catching me at least 5 to 1. It was the most baffling thing. At one point in the day, the bass were forcing the shad up to the surface and we'd wait for new "boils" and then furiously cast into them. It didn't matter what I did. The bass totally ignored my identical spinner bait while my friend and his dad scored over a dozen bass. It was enough to make a man cry.

Have any of you experienced anything similar?

sure.  matapponi river.  

friend and i were throwing chug-bugs.

he got the hits, i did not.  :(

Words of Advice:

Next time your getting outfished slather your skirt in scent while your friends aren't looking and watch you results improve  ;D !

Words of Advice:

Next time your getting outfished slather your skirt in scent while your friends aren't looking and watch you results improve ;D !

It sure couldn't have hurt matters.  :P

maybe they slathered theirs in scent when farmpond1 wasnt looking =]

Sometimes I wonder if my buddy hasn't made a pact with the devil. :-/  If someone catches a 5 lb bass, he'll turn around and in short order catch a 6 lb bass.  The fish do seem to like him.  I'm not a firm believer in scents but at this point I'd do just about anything to try to even the odds.

I was throwing watermelon/ red flukes and my buddy was throwing watermelon/orange flukes and flat out killed me on the fish because of flake color.