Sign in to follow this  
Hop

How do you check out a new lake?

When fishing a lake for the first time what lures do you usually throw? I fish from the bank if the makes a difference.

Thanks

It depends on what the lake looks like.

I can get a general feel for the lake and a rough idea of what to throw by checking out what types of structure/cover the lake has to offer and the depths as well as water colour. IE if it's a shallow, muddy, weedy lake - a spinnerbait will probably do very well. Deep, rocky, clear lake a senko or small crankbait may be better.

BUT if I had to choose 3 lures to find fish in a new lake, it would be 1) spinnerbait, 2) 3" plastic grub 3) Senko

If you have visible cover/structure that you can target, fish it thoroughly. Otherwise, move a lot and cover a lot of water until you learn the characteristics. Go as often as you can and try to be there during higher percentage periods, like low light. Depending on cover, time of year, etc., the full range of lures can be used. You don't have to rule anything out just because you're fishing from the bank.

Good luck.

Look for a local in a 20' Ranger launching at daybreak. Also local guide update web site on most lakes, or just give one a call. You will be suprised how much they like to talk about the fishing.

1-$250.00 trip can save endless hours of guess and just throwing lures around.

Look for main channels and work out from there to the structure, providing your have good electronics. I use channels like its home plate.

I fish alot of small ponds from shore mostly because they lack a boat ramp and they hold great fish. When I get to a new pond I kinda hunt around to figure out what kind of cover it has and mainly to look for fish of any size. I identify what kind of bottom it has hard or soft and cover. I also pay attention to the bank slop and if I see any points or any other prime structure. Bass are object oriented fish so I kinda look for areas that might hold a bass. The object could be weeds, trees, bushes, rocks, laydowns, stumps, lake dam, whatever. I start there and use the right tool for the job. But the key is using the right lure that maximizes your chances to catch a fish, works the depth zone you need to fish at, and have the ability to fish it where you need it effectively. Just look at the conditions you are faced with and ask yourself what lure would work here. In ponds I use basically the same stuff I use in a boat in some cases just on a smaller scale because of depth.

When looking at a new body of water keep in mind that the structure you see around the water usually carries on under the surface. With out charts it helps you find points,drop-offs ect.It will also give you an indication of the rate of depth change to help choose your search baits.e.g. casting distance is 40 ft.slope rate is 1 down for 10 across.Choose a crankbait to run 4 ft depths.

I 'm not going to tell you with what bait, look for your home lake in the other lake, the same places that hold fish in your lake hold fish in the other lake, bass are bass, they behave the same way here as they do there. There 's no point in casting a search bait if you haven 't determined where the fish are located, it 's a waste of time and arm power, if in your home lake bass are holding at 10 ft deep, over rocky bottom in a point at this time of the year you can bet they will be in the same similar location in the other lake.