Sign in to follow this  
squid

JT.." Never Ending Fued"

Great article...now put this on the FLW site...lol...man do they need to read that one...lol

Dito! Good article!  For someone like myself who is getting ready to fish in his first BFL tournament as a non-boater, or first ever tournament for that matter, it is a little more encouraging after reading articles like this.  Thanks JT! Keep up the good work!  

Thanks Guys,

Glad you liked it.

Now although I personally am not going to put it on the FLW website. I would not have any objections to one of you placing the link on there.  ;)

Oh by the way, here is the link.  ;D

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/Bagwell/bagwells_bass_tactics_10.html

Thanks again

JT Bagwell

I agree completely, I fished my first tournaments last year, as a co-angler, well 3 out of the 5 guys I was paired with, made me feel like I was at home, the other two, would grumble and cuss whenever I got hung up, and one guy got really mad when I caught the first fish of the tournament, the crazy thing was, we were fishing as a team, so you would think he would be happy.  

I am going to fish as both a boater and non-boater this year, and I will definetely treat my non-boater with respect, I know how it is to be the guy who is worrying about making the bad cast, or getting in the way.

Great article BTW

Good article... It's a shame that some do look at non-boat owners this way. We have quite a few like what was mentioned in my area and they always bring the same old arrogance with them wherever they are, even in the tackle stores.

::) I totally agree with the article, but you it takes all kinds. You really want make them mad- out fish them. ;D

Thanks Guys

And Tireman you hit the nail on the head.  lol

JT Bagwell

Like you say JT it will be a never ending fued inbetween fussy non-boaters and fussy boaters. It was a great article, how do you do it?

Thank you Nick.

JT Bagwell

Unfortunately some of the discourtesy to the non-boater is intentional and due to a hypercompetitive, bass pro-wan-a-be personality that doesn't want to risk being backseated by his partner.

It's happend to me as a non-boater many times, which turned me off to draw-type fishing. As a newbie many years ago, I didn't know that you could back the boat up with the trolling motor and needed the boater to do so when I had a 3lb LM pulling me under a log with only 8lb test mono.

When I caught the fish, I was closest to it, but the boater said he couldn't back the boat so did a 180, thus putting be further from the fish. Being my first year, I didn't know that I could go to the front of the boat nor was it suggested. The line snapped after about 40 seconds.

The same boater did what JT mentioned concerning a narrow channel, but flipped going forward to every good spot for an hour on the best tide. I never got a bite.

I told myself I would call in sick next time I got drawn with this clown or his buddies. Winning is not my major goal in a tournament. If you broke down the first prize winnings, it wouldn't amount to minimum wage for a 7 hour touney if less anglers fished.

The game is not to beat your partner, but to both weigh in fish. The finest testament to a boater is when both have limits and it goes a long way towards his reputatiom as an angler, a sportsman and as a person. This is a true fishing buddy, relationship,  which B.A.S.S. chapter clubs are supposed to foster, but many times don't.

The game is not to beat your partner, but to both weigh in fish. This is the finest testament to a boater, when both have limits and it goes a long way towards a good rep. as an angler and a person.

Well Said

:(SenkoSam, I wish they were anglers like that, but they are not many who even has a thought about that and really rather say I did this and the guy in the back did not get a bite. Its sad and hope I never get that way.Take a kid fishing and you will learn how to consider the person in the back. Me personally, I kinda like fishing out of the back, especially on windy days.  ::)

I had to fish a couple years from the back and hated it every time.9 of 10 guys on the front like to forget they have someone on the back.

There are ways to get back at these a-holes and it all starts with out-fishing them.One of the last times I fished from the back,the guy was beating the bank to death and was catching nothing.I had been fishing all week with my dad and we had the fish patterned deep on points.Dad and I were getting bit on a Carolina Rig with some 4" centipedes(french fry's) in junebug color.I told the guy this before blast off.....but of course,he knew where all the fish were and didnt care what I had to say.

Well,I wouldnt even cast when he was beating stretches of bank to no avail,but when we rolled up on a point,I'd whip out my c-rig and start reeling them in.After I caught 3 quality keepers and a few dinks,the guy finally started hitting nothing but points.He didnt have any french fry type baits,why?I dont know,but he couldnt get a bite.All the while I was getting bite after bite.You could tell this bothered him and he finally got up the nerve to ask if he could borrow one of my baits.Well,I told him that I didnt have but a few and couldnt give up on any of them.But what he didnt know was that I actually had 2 full bags and half of another and wouldnt have given him one for nothing.

I had five good ones already but his attitude from the start was terrible.I ended up second in co angler with 5 totaling 14+ and he ended up with 2 totaling just under 4 lbs.If he'd had a different attitude for the co angler,he'd had a great day and a good finish.Oh well.....

Good Article J.T.!! I never take money from my Co-Angler, but, it is nice for them to offer. I fished the Opens from the back deck for a year. When an idiot cost me winning a boat once, I swore I would never do it again.

Thank You Very Much FlippnFish  ;D

JT Bagwell

That was a good article JT.

I have fished both sides also and really only once had a bad experience.  It was on a N. Open on the Hudson.  As a non-boater we needed about 6 or 7 pounds to make the cut.  

I blanked day #1 but not on account of my boater.  Its because I didn't retie often enough and lost a 3 pounder at the boat due to zebra mussels.

Day 2 I was paired with a really cocky, jerky guy who I shall leave nameless although I really don't want to.   This guy has a brand new 21 foot boat......  So we go out and I catch 3 fish to his 5 and know I'm really close to that 6-7 pound mark.  When we stop he asks me to hold the boat while he gets the fish out.  I don't think anything of it and while he was doing that I was saying hello to a fellow club member who was out on the docks.  He hands me my bag of fish and I go to weigh in.  We get to the final tank and I go to put more water in my bag.  I look in the bag and I have (3) 14 inch fish in there.  I looked at him and said "I think you may have a couple of my fish".  He tells me its a single livewell and they "cross over".  Next thing you know I'm on the stage and hear Fish Fishburne say "3 pounds 2 ounces".  I was funing but what could I do???  Then this guy comes up who had about 8 pounds by my best estimate.  I hear..."12 pounds 6 ounces" or something...its been a few years so I don't remember exactly.  I ended up about 3 pounds off the cut when i think I should have made it.  

I chalked it up as a learning experience and on my way home stopped off at a tackle shop to pick up some cull 'em tags.  It won't happen again but was a really black day in my opinion.

I have often wondered if I should have done something about it but I didn't want to be a jerk and get labeled myself plus, without tags I really couldn't prove it.  

The toughest part for me was whether I retied that first day or didn't get hosed the second day I was in.  I learned a lot that day and feel better as a result.  One thing for me is I have a pretty strong personality and don't get easily intimidated.  If I am really getting back boated I'll say something.  Most guys really don't want to do it...or at least will accomodate you if you say something.  Don't just fester, they are only 12 feet away from you all day and if they constantly get asked to help you out they will in most instances as long as you don't toss ahead of them.  If not, start kicking their rods over the side one at a time.  LOL  That will get their attention!!!

lunkerguy, you should have definately said something to someone. who cares if you get labeled,i'm sure it would not have hurt your rep. as much as it would have your boaters. thats a horrible way to end a tourney though!

LunkerGuy, you should have gone to the tournament director. If was BASS, which I take that it was, that has happened before. Sliding Dividers suck. Anyway, when the fish got mixed, the non-boater got to weigh the biggest sack. Thats another reason to have culling floats. Just in case you have to ride in a Champion or a Procraft or any other boat that has the divider crap!!