Sign in to follow this  
BassChaser57

Why R Bass LockJawed After A Cold Front

I have ben fishing on beautiful sunny days after a cold front and have a hard time getting strikes. What are some ideas on why this is?

Some has to do with the PH of water. Rain which would actually be an acid would lower the PH of the water.

Barametric pressure, If there was lightning the night before, water clarity , Sky conditions, wind, water temp.

All these variables add up to make fishing conditions tough after a cold front.

I just fished a small lake today and a nice sized front came through a few days ago.

didn't get any fish, had 1 bite.  but no fish.  

this same lake I only fish one side of the bank where there is a spill way or water way in the middle of it.  

never caught a fish right before and after dark, either.  they're funny kinda fish.  however, I am not able to access the rest of the lake.

I didnt believe it before but now I do. BP has an effect with fishing. I go to www.weatherundergound.com and check BP after a bad fishing trip and noticed that it was high. Im still logging and researching this but I think high BP has an effect on fishing. Anyone else noticed this also.

Barametric Pressure has a major effect on fishing. The jury is still out as to exactly why, simple because a bass can swim from 25 feet deep to the surface (huge pressure change compaired to atmospheric) and not seem to effected (much deeper and they have swim bladder problems but this has nothing to do with BP either).

One school of thought that I tend to lean towards is the fact that High BP swashes the micro organisms that start the food chain. Which in turn slows the whole feeding process for a couple days

I have heard that when the water temp lowers 5+ degrees the fish almost become shocked and become very skittish and will always look at a biat for a long time before eating it.

It 's the increase in light penetration what causes the lockjaw. Post front days are normally cloudless, the barometric pressure is high so clouds will not appear for several days, this allows the sunlight to penetrate deep. It doesn 't mean the fish aren 't active, it means that they are not in more accesible water ( shallow ) or that they are buried in cover. To fish succesfully in those days what you need to do is to fish deeper, slow and look for shaded areas, the fish will be there. Bass are not bothered by strong sunlight but strong sunlight allows their prey to spot them where cover is available they will hide in it, where cover is not available they will be deep, how deep it depends greatly on the turbidity of the water, the clearer the water the deeper they will be. Many times your baits are not fished at the proper depth just because they don 't reach it.