Sign in to follow this  
gamblerOH

FISH FINDER ON OR OFF?

I  am wondering whether you fish with your fish finder on or off? I have my own theory about using fish finders while fishing, when I am doing any kind of finesse fishing I always turn it off. I think when we get so close to a fish that the constant clicking of the transducer spooks them or at least makes them more leary. When I actually start fishing I keep it off more than on. It seems that if a  fish can pinpoint a jig/rattle then surely they can hear a 4,000 watt transducer. I have had this discussion with a few guys in our bass club and we are split 50/50.

I know guys who don't turn on their livewells very ofter because they're worried bass might hear it. They also turn in more dead bass.

I didn't think fish could hear the transducer. I always keep mine on and still catch fish, but who knows... ?

This doesn't have anything to do with largemouth. But, I know some guys that when fishing for Hybrid or Striper take a broom handle and bang on the bottom of there boat over and over again. This makes the baitfish nurvous and confused and turns the bass on. I couldn't believe it worked.

I think I'll put that fish finder off theory to the test.

Im not saying you cant catch fish with it on, I just think sometimes its better to leave it off. I am sure that the fish can here it though, since they can hear a rattle on a jig and it isnt nearly as loud as a transducer.I have caught fish for years with it on, this is something I have been looking into just this year.

I used to not fish with one in my local lake that i know very well. I fish with it on now and it doesnt seem to make a difference.

I have learned no matter how well you think you know a place there is always more to learn about it. The benefits outweigh to negitives to fishing with it on.

Possibly in shallow water situations you might want to shut it off or sight fishing. But i see no reason to

After hearing the roar of the motor and whoosh of the prop, the whirling of a trolling motor , a screeech of a stump scapeing down the hull and the waves sloshing up against it. A little ticking sound may calm their nerves.

Sonars supposedly (fast search) use high frequency sound waves some where between 38 - 455 khz. Sound also is supposed to travel 5 times faster in water than it does thru air. Lowance says that they use sound frequencies 50khz, and between 192 - 200khz. Emitted and returned several times a second thru the transducer. The normal range of hearing in a human are low frequency waves between 20 - 20,000hz. Fish, the best I can detect frequencies between .1 - 1.0khz. It seems to me that even if they could hear it in those higher ranges it would be a constant sound not a click. Regaurdless if you can hear it then they probably could too. I have never heard it on mine out of the water, I guess I need to check it out some time. That is interesting that ya'll have noticed a difference in their behavor. Since I mainly fish shallow, stumpy water I really never thought about it.

I have played with this exact theory quite a bit and come to a strange conclusion. The more fishing pressure a lake recieves the more the clicking seems to prevent strikes. This will take years to prove though as there are only about a half a million different things that can change the mood of the fish.

The only conclusive results I have had are school bass. I have on more than one occasion seen school bass quite and the only common thread was the depth finder. So I did it on purpose and the fish definately seemed to move off or quit.

I'm with Taylor though, no matter how well you think you know an area there is always a big rock or stump or even just a single stick up that you have never seen before and it will hold fish.

I agree with Taylor too. Like I  said I use my fishfinder a lot. I probally use it abou 80-90% of the time but when im in a small cut and trying to get some larger fish I think anything can spook them. I usually try to be very quiet and try to even keep the trolling motor off as much as I can. I honestly think I am having better success with this. I will experiment with this all season.  My ski boat has a depth/fishfinder and if that thing is on and you go under the water is can be heard a long way down, and its only a small low watt unit! I'm sure that the positives outweigh the negatives on this one but still think there may be a time to turn it off and see what happens.

I fish with mine on, I've never really thought to much about it.   On the flip side of that, as a SCUBA diver I know the sound travels faster and farther in water.  I can hear a small outboard underwater from more than a half mile away, and suffer from some major hearing loss.  A large outboard can be heard from well over a mile away.  I've never seen it effect the behavior of fish though.

Also as a diver attest that Taylor is right.  If you can find a big (small car sized) rock, a isolated brush pile, or a small chanel/ditch with depth change of 2 feet or so will really hold a unbeliveable amount of fish.

I think that Mike may have a very good point about bodies of water that get heavy pressure.  Maybe this could help explain why fish sometimes really change their patterns for no appearent reason on the weekends

I have never really thought about this even though i use my fishfinder 50%-75% of the time. I usally turn it off when i am fishing 8 feet or shallower since i usually fish clear water neatural lakes.

When fishing in stained to muddy water i will leave it on all the time. I dont really think it makes a difference , except when a cold front comes through in the crystal clear waters, then i will turn it off.

Does anyone know for a fact whether or not bass can hear that frequency?  That's the main question. If they can't hear it, it wouldn't make one bit of difference if the depthfinder was on.

My guess is they can't hear it. But that's just a guess. Does anyone know for sure?

The information that I found was that they hear between .1khz or 10hz and 1.0khz or 1000hz. We hear between 20 and 20,000hz. So they are only able to hear sounds in our lower spectrum and slighty lower. Sonar start out at 38kilo (thousand) hertz and goes up. They are not supposed to be able to hear it.

Dogs 50 - 45,000hz

Bats top range 120,000hz

Dolphins 200,000hz.

Whales are reported to be bothered by the low frequency waves used by some subs and gov. under water sonar.

I don't know about the freq? but they FEEL and that sound wave going threw the water has got to be easily detected by their lateral line. A bass can feel a bait fish moving threw the water I am sure he or she can detect that sound wave? and if they can what do they do about it?

Anyone have back issues of Bassmaster or Bass Times? There was an article in there about running sonar in shallow water. It was how to set it up to work at the really shallow depths etc. KVD said he runs his all the time. Just might be something in that article to help us out in this matter.

WHy can't they make a sonar unit that emits a sound like baitifsh...something that would attract the fish...Just a thought!

Glenn, don't delete this idea.  Maybe I could retire a millionaire.  Heck, they can make sound emitters for everything else.   ;D