Sign in to follow this  
Byrdthefisherman

Proper retrieve and rig for.....

Hello fellow anglers,

I recently(today actually) purchased these new rattle WildEye Split Tail Minnows by Storm. I got great reactions by Bass. I had these on a wieghtless texas rig. the problem...like I said great reaction(they followed the minnow around) but rarley struck it. Another problem is getting ths bad boy hooked right due to its wide width. Any Retrieval Techniques recommended? Should I use a swival ? By the way this is a soft bait that resembles a shad, 5 inch.

P.S. I'm  newbie here and this site is Great!

Guest the_mud_man

I useboth these and there finese minnow. I use an octupus hook and lip hook em,just like a live shiner. When I cast it out I let it sit where it is and do nothing for about 10 seconds then I make short sporadic retrives and stop it dead in the water again and thats when I get most of my hits on these baits. I live in the noth east and find once summer comes these baits dont work as well until Fall.Good Luck this works for me

instead of hooking the bait like a minnow would swim texas rig it so that it runs on its side. Run the hook in the head then out an eye and then back into ints side. This way it has less plastic to run though to get into the fish and the bait will work more like something hurt. Another good rig is to rig the bait wacky style.

Also try C-rigging it, the bait darts and flutters with a killer action. I know they smell horrible so adding a couple of drops of anise scented oil to the pack doesn 't hurt and masks that horrendous plastic smell they have.