Sign in to follow this  
JUST_ONE_MORE_CAST

making sure they are largemouths.......

Hello,

I've been  fishing SERIOUSLY for only a few months now.......My wife and I were bored one day and I said,   "Let's go fishing" So off we went....well, at the time all I had was my baitcasting setup and an el-cheapo zebco33 combo for her. She was content on cork-and-worm fishing, while I decided I would try a crankbit I received as a gift a year or two ago. Well I caught a smallie on my second cast (a pound or 2) but I was hooked as bad as he was from then on.  Anyway my question. I have been fishing a different pond recently and catching what I think are young largemouths. The thing is the doun't have that distinct black on them like I'm used to seeing. Is this just because they are young or is it water color/quality? I just want to make sure they are LM's I know this sounds kinda dumb but I am really kinda new to being this successful at fishing.      :)

Thanks in advane and heres a pic of the fish in question.  (my wife caught that one only one of that day.)

ashleysbass.jpg

Ditto

That's a Larry! (largemouth)

I hope you don't mind me saying so but you're wife is a cutie!

the lack of the black pattern you speak of good be due to water quality as well as a combination of age. i've got some bass that are a light green on top and a very pale white on bottom with no dark color in b/t. this of course was out of a very stained muddy lake.  

It could be a spotted bass.  I too havebeen fishing and catching some bass and have confused myself into thinking all were largemouth, when infact some were spotted bass.  Here is some info I picked off the  internet for you.  BTW, ditto to what Alandis said, she is a cutie! She's a "keeper"! ;D ;D

"The spotted bass is a species that is often confused by anglers with its larger cousin the largemouth bass.  Although the fish are similar in appearance and nature their choice of habitat separates the species.  Where largemouth are structure-oriented fish, spotted bass do not generally rely on cover.  They will often hold in areas that have some sort of definition, like larger rocks or dropoffs, but they normally do not use the cover like a largemouth would.   They also will inhabit much deeper water than most largemouths.

Another difference between the spotted and the largemouth bass is their size.  Spotted bass are considerably smaller, reaching a maximum of about 24 inches in length.  The Georgia state record spotted bass came from Lake Lanier and weighed 8 lbs. 5 oz, but the average will be just a couple of pounds.  The coloration of spotted bass s is very similar to that of the largemouth.  The most noticeable difference is the addition of rows of black spots on the lower half of the side of the body.  Factors such as the water clarity and depth that the fish has been living in can affect coloration making this a harder identification tool.  The mouth of the spotted bass extends beyond the middle of the eye but not beyond the eye like the largemouth's.  The easiest characteristics to distinguish between the largemouth and the spotted bass are the size of the mouth and the appearance of the dorsal fin.  The spotted bass has a dorsal fin that is clearly connected, while the largemouth appears to have two separate fins.

A largemouth's jaw is hinged behind the eye as you look at it from the side where a smallmouth's jaw is hinged in front of the eye.  Also the LM had a smooth tongue where the SM has a tongue that feels like fine sandpaper.

Thanks alot guys.....yup, she's definately a keeper! She is anxious to learn LM fishing and learns quick too! I think these are LM's....going by what Reb said about the jaw hinge location. Whatever the hell they are, they sure are fun to catch! I wish I coulda gotten a pic of the real-deal LM I caught (well, hooked anyway) this evening.  I gotta get better at keeping them in the water cuz they keep chunking my spinners!  >:(

Make sure your hooks are sharp.  Easiest way to lose a fish is with a dull hook.  If it won't dig into your fingernail with just a small amount of pressure you need to sharpen them.  I use one of these:

hook%20sharpener.jpg

They are about $5 at WalMart.

thanks Reb, So what's best to do when I feel the big ones headed for the top?  About 3 out of 5 throw it when they jump, shaking their head. Most are being caught on the trailer hook. Is this a factor in them being so good at chunking them out? Most of my spinners are booyahs and strike kings. for the trailers, I use eagle claw lazer sharps with the rubber tubing.

By the way, I can spell...but my keyboard can't....... ;D

The thing is the doun't have that distinct black on them like I'm used to seeing. Is this just because they are young or is it water color/quality?

(my wife caught that one only one of that day.)

ashleysbass.jpg

Usually, their back is dark when they've spent most of time in the grass. Its the light peneration & yes your partly correct its the water clarity & covers. More than often, light color fish in muddy water & dark ones in clear. By the way, she's cute.