Sign in to follow this  
harley72

Looking for some advice.

Hello all

This is my first post here at this website, I just found it today and have spent most of the day reading through all of the posts. I think this is a wonderful site with a wealth of info.  A BIG Thanks to admin for providing us with such a great site.  ;D

I am getting ready to hit this large farm pond and see what I can do today. This pond is snuggled down in the woods and covers about an acre. The pond is used by the owner's cattle as a watering hole and is fairly muddy. There is allot of moss patches scattered around it and I believe the pond is no deeper than around 10' and very shallow around the edges (which is also where most of the moss is at). It is a warm day and has been raining for most of the morning with no lightning. This pond has a large number of gills, crappie and bass with the bass getting up in the 5-8# range. I will be getting to the pond at around 3pm this afternoon. There are no creeks running into it but there are a few 3-4' deep coves. I would really like to target the bass. I have been there once before and caught a couple of nice ones on a black grub with one side of the curly tail being chartreuse. What would you use to fish this pond considering that it will be 3pm, muddy water, moss, rain for most of the morning and heavy overcast?  ??? ???

Thanks,

Harley

I would try some scum frogs, soft jerkbaits, buzzbait, weightless worms, or maybe a tube if the pond isn't to mossy.

Welcome to the forum!

The thing to keep in mind in muddy water is sound and vibration.  I'd throw a spinnerbait with a big, single Colorado blade for vibration, a lipless crankbait like a Rat-L-Trap, or a big, bulky jig-something that will move a lot of water.  If it is sunny throw bright colors, but if it is cloudy I'd go with darker, more natural colors.

Good luck!

Hey thanks everyone for the advice. It turned out that once I got to the pond, the owner's family was having a big picnic and family fish day so I just turned around and went to another pond. The other pond I went to is a very old pond that is crystal clear and holds monster bass & crappie. I caught several 12-15" crappie and a couple nice bass using a small rapala floating minnow. Had a great day anyways. I will keep that in mind about the using a noisy bait in muddy water and bright colored lures in clear water. Anyways I just wanted to say THANKS

Harley