Sign in to follow this  
kcbassfishn

Fishing in timber

i fish at bluesprings lake and if youa re in kansas city (i assumed from your name) you should know where taht is and thers alot of "petrified" trees ala  truman and i like fishing jig and pig and t rigged worms along the trees, its tough to get a boat back there sometimes id suggest a smaller aluminum boat to a 20k fiberglass boat but thats just me and not wanting to take chances with my dads boat but i hope this'll help

the lake i've been fishing is the heaviest timber i've ever seen. the routes you can take change daily. i could go 30 yards or so farther than i did today just 2 days ago. i have a hard time with worms and jigs in it. i have good success with crank baits and buzz baits. do ok with spinner baits. it's hard to stay quiet in that stuff.

IMO,  I would think that spinnerbaits and crankbaits banging off the timber would be the way to go...  If its too thick to do that I'd go with a tube, worm or a jig, in that order...

I usually will run spinners, cranks, and worms in med to heavy timber.  I am not very successful when it come to fishing timber.  It is my bass fishing weakness.   Seems like I am doing everything right.  Seems like I just need to work on it a little more.

Medium timber I fish spinnerbaits and crankbaits and in heavy timber I use jigs. In deep timber I use crankbaits and heavy jigs or a jigging spoon. A tube works for heavy fished lakes.

I love pitching a tube into the standing timber. espeacially cedar trees. i use either a 4" or 3 1/2" tube in colors like green pumpkin, watermellon, and black/red flake. other colors similar to those work to but those are the 3 that i have the most success with. i use a 4/0 BPS extra wide gap hook. and i use a 1/4 oz bullet weight that i peg with a rubberband. i dont like pegging with a tooth pick because it can make week spots in the line when you jam it into the weight. For a rod i use a MH or H action with 20 lb Berkley XL line on baitcasting setup.

I hope this helps. Good luck on the water!