Sign in to follow this  
tomd

Where do the bass go after they spawn?

I fish in the rivers of Eastern Washington (state). In the spring when the water just starts to warm up and the fish are spawning, we can clean up in the coves that are warmer than the main body. However once the water warms up the coves get choked out with weeds and become almost unfishable. My question is where do the bass go after they spawn and the main body of water warms up? I've never had luck during the heart of the summer. Any advice on where the fish typically go and what lures to use?

You are along ways from home for this KY boy,but since I see you have no replies I'll try.Here in KY the fish migrate to the shallows for the spawn,as most of us know.Afterwards they head back out to the deeper waters,on humps,points,and ledges,atleast some of them.This year our grass is coming back and I know for a fact alot of them are staying in shallower water(4-10 ft.)Don't really know what your water temps are or the depts and contours of your river,but all bass love structure and comfortable oxygen levels.If your river is really matting up with grass try throwing a zoom horny toad,they really work well.I have caught fish on them from KY to Florida.It is a top water,soft plastic so you might want to consider if top-water works up and over there.Secondly if you can get a topographical map,look and find the main channels.I would start at the mouths of any tributaries that flow into the main river.A crankbait that matches the size and color of the baitfish and runs close to the bottom would be a start.If that didn't work I would have to go a jig or C-rig.Alot of this depends on the habits of those river fish.A couple of good tips one,check out some of the articles on this website,two go pick a local baitstore owner's brain.Also,when you are looking for size and colors of baits the ones that they are usually out of are the ones that are working.

They move off back into deeper water.  In the immediate post spawn they will move off the flats to the nearest dropoff and then ad the water warms they will head deeper, in a summer pattern.  Here in Texas they have already moved into a summer pattern:  Deep in cover or deep water.  Yesterday the water temp ranged from 84-87, and they don't stay shallow with temps like that.

The river is pretty small. It's around 1/3 mile wide and up to 25 feet deep. The problem is the whole thing gets so choked with weeds, you can't throw cranks or even spinner baits. The coves get so choked you cant even get a boat in them. However some very defined weed lines do form, but I've never had any luck fishing them. What would you normally throw along a weedline in 10-15

feet of water? The water temps right now are in the mid to upper sixties in the main body. I think they top out around 75-80 degrees with the coves being 5-10 warmer.

This year was the best I've ever had until the spawn ended. One day we picked up 18 fish in four hours with a couple over 5lbs, which is good for this area.

Along that weedline I'd use a lipless crankbait like a Rat-L-Trap and a Carolina Rig.  You also might try a weightless soft plastic like a Senko-type bait.  Throw it up on the edge of the weeds and pull it off into the water.

If the weeds stop and have a defined edge that means there is a change in bottom either depth or kind of bottom. In 10 to 15 ft of water I would parallel the edge with a crankbait or carolina rig the edge. You can also use a jig and pitch to the edge with a 1/2 oz jig or try to target the first 10ft into the weeds hitting the holes in the grass. If they are suspended up in the weeds try a frog even if its 15 ft deep.

Well since your talking about the yakima, columbia, or snake or a tributary. find the deeper water and under water structure for smallies and grub on a jig head, drop shot, top water, or whatever that is working. For the largemouth stay in the coves and fish the deeper structure/ cover with senkos, jig and pigs, buzz baits, and if you can find hydrilla in the marina areas/coves crawl a frog over it and use a buzz bait where you can around the edges the fish it with the other stuff I mentioned.