Sign in to follow this  
piranha

Breakin' Through Your Pads

No, this isn't about feminine hygiene.  ;D

If you are fishing lilly pads, with a plastic worm, particularly from the bank, what is the best method for getting the worm to the bottom? Even with a heavy Yamamoto senko, it only hangs a few inches in the water because the line won't slide across the pads. I have tried split shot and barrel weights pegged 6 or more inches above the worm but they pull up to the eye of the hook after a few casts. I have used large, or multiple split shot right at the head of the worm but it does two things (a) detroys the soft floating action of the worm which is one of the things that makes it so effective and (B) the weights usually come off after multiple casts after getting caught in the "butt" crack of pads. I have not used a cone weight but expect that it too will cause the senko to nose dive fast through the pads.

What are your opinions on adding significant weight to the worm? Does the weight scare off finicky bass or cause them to release the bait prematurely?

Have you guys found a good compromise?

Thanks.

Try adding a nail weight.  You can bury it in the bait and it won't mess with the action.  If you don't have a lead nail weight a piece of lead solder or even a piece of coat hanger will work.  That will help it sink a little faster.

If you want to fish the worm with a leader or carolina rigged put a swivel in the line after the weight, then tie on the leader and hook.  A bullet or worm weight will slide through them easier, it will increase the fall rate, so just use enough weight to go through the weeds.  Try to fish the holes and pockets that are in them.  

Thanks Rebbasser. I started using nails this week to balance the fall of the worm, which actually slowed the fall, so I didn't think of using it for the pads but heavier. I will try it tomorrow and keep you posted. I think I will put nails in both ends for extra weight and to balance the action. That should give it enough weight to break through. Thanks again.

Muddpuppy - Excellent idea as well. I am using a barrel swivel between my braided line and fluorocarbon so I will try a worm weight above the swivel after the nail trick and compare effectiveness. Thanks again!

I know more expense!  I know Eagle claw makes a hook its endorsed by Shaw that has a small wire clamp on the eye that does a pretty good job of holding the bait on when dragging it through heavy cover.  I don't remember the name right off, but it should be on their or the BPS web site.  You will probably need to sharpen it before useing it.  Their not as sharp as some or at least I didn't think so.  I think Wal Mart carries these.

Here in Florida some guys use what they call a "Florida rig"  Basically it is a T=rig with a cone shaped sinker that has a threaded end that you screw into the worm.  They use them in the weeds here.  Here are the ones BPS carries

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=58029&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=10&hvarSubCode=3&hvarTarget=browse

CPR ;D

I just wish we had some pads in Clarks Hill lake in Ga. When I fish a farm pond with lots of junk a pegging a sinker does the trick.