Sign in to follow this  
ball_coach_1

Many 'Spike-It' Guys?

Curious how many of you are in to using dyes and color dips/markers on your baits and plastics.

I am a big proponent of their use.  About 10 years ago we went on a famous lake with a guide the first day.  Before we left the bait shop, he told us we had better purchase the couple of bottles remaining or expect less of a bite for the day and remainder of the week.  I was skeptical.  He proved there was never a reason to be.  If the baits weren't tipped with color that week, you just didn't get bit.  A lesson learned and not forgotten.

To this day, when I KNOW there are fish where I am fishing, and I know the fish should be liking the presentation but are not, I first change baits and presentation.  If still a struggle, a slight change in color with just tips/or LOTS of bait being dyed makes a difference MANY times.

Perhaps there are those out there 100% with me, and perhaps there are those who say I am dead wrong.  Look forward to replies and any other additions that might help me keep improving with bait presentations and tactics.

I always color my jig trailers mainly with chartreuse, but sometimes I get crazy and use chartreuse, red, black, blue, and orange all on a little crawdad trailer. Another bait that I like to dye are senkos which I dye the end tip chartreuse.

Yep-especially with a green pumpkin bait.  Sometimes it makes all the difference.

Smallmouth seem to love my green pumpkin tubes dipped in lime.As far as largemouth somedays I do somedays I don't(just depends on how the fish are acting or the color of the sky)I've also found that the spray can is prevents alot less mess.

ive never done this but would like to know how to do it and is this a scent or color and ive always found that when i need a trailer i buy cheap pack of worms and take the tail to use any advice would be helpful

ive never done this but would like to know how to do it and is this a scent or color and ive always found that when i need a trailer i buy cheap pack of worms and take the tail to use any advice would be helpful

Its really not hard.You can by it in a bottle and just dip  however much of the tail of a worm,tube,lizard,or any soft plastic down into the dye pull it out and it is dyed.I like the aresal spray myself which you just spray on.Some plastics won't dye as well as others.Spkie It is a scented dye(garlic)the fish in my lake love it most of the time.

I prefer using white or lemon shad super flukes because I can see them from a long ways off but when the bite dies,I will dip them in the red color Spike It (just one end or the other),this gives it the bleeding look and I'm still able to see it.

I also use the Spike It on the tails of brush hawgs and sweet beavers,usually chartreuse.

I love spike it. One thing that I learned thought is it weakens your plastics. I was fishing a tourny as a guest in January and I was catching my fish on a white grub with the tail dipped in chartruse. If I dipped it to far up the body of the bait it would split and fall off my jighead.