Sign in to follow this  
jim1096

Release in a different pond???

I live in Illinois and there seems to be a lot of new homes/stores etc going in and in the process, draining local ponds to make room for them.

Well, I found this GREAT pond located behind a car dealership that produces 4-5LB bass with the regularity of mesquito bites in the amazon. But here is my dilema... They are draining the pond to put a Target there and I was wondering if I could relocate the fish to an established Park District pond without harming the fish (as if hooking them doesn't but anyway..) Would they take to the new environment or die from shock? My intentions are good but wanna make sure I don't do more harm than good. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

i don't know how well they take being transfered like that. my friend and i one year took all the big bass we caught and released them in a pond behind his house. we never saw them floating, but that doesn't mean they made it.

maybe if you fill a cooler up with water from the lake and get an aerator in it to keep oxygen in the water. i think that should work as long as you don't let them get too hot.

also check your states laws on transfering fish between lakes or ponds.

I didnt think it was legal to drain a water source like a pond, lake...etc? At least here Im pretty sure its illegal.

Floating, yeah bad sign. :-)

I planned on using my big ole colman cooler with some of the pond water and an airater (SP?) to give them oxygen while enroute. I'm sure the law is stacked against me but I feel like I have to given the situation. I would understand if I had a ton of exotic aquirium fish I wanted to dump but Bass are prevelent in the pond I want to put them in anyway...

Well, this pond is private property ( I got permission to fish it with the dealerships consent)  - They sold the land to Target and they are in the process of turning it in to a parking lot. I'm boycotting Target as a result. It all starts with one person right ? :-)

jim im with you on this one, down with Tagrget!  I would just make sure the Dept of Wildlife and Fisheries dosent prohibit that kind of a move.  maybe express your concerns tot hem and make a little noise they may even provide some assistance!?  good luck.

I was thinking about contacting the local powers that be to tell them the situation. I even have photographic proof. I know I'm a dork but I carry an inexpensive digital camera with me when I fish cuz I got tired of my buddies giving me a hard time about fishing there. After they saw my pics, they were amazed.

I'll give them a call and see what they say. If anyone is interested in the outcome, I'll post my results.

im eage rto hear what happens, let us know.  and if  you think youre a dork for carrying a digital camera when fishing then i guess alot of us on this forum are too.  got tired of my wife asking if that was really MY fish or if someone let me take a picture with thier fish out of pity!

Cool, will do.

Well, my wife thinks I'm a dork. I got tired of her razzing me as well about the fish I caught too. I'd tell her I caught 3 four pounders (as if she even would know what that meant ) and she would say "Yeah, right" HAHA :-)

We often move a fish or 2 to private ponds. Now if you intend on moveing them to public waters chances are that is prohibited and not neccessarialy without good cause. It's not so much where you are takeing them from that is the issue as the where you are putting them into that presents the problem. Also unless you have permission to relocate the fish I am sure you would have to abide by the same bag limits as if you were fishing for them as food. Private waters may be exempt in your area.