Sign in to follow this  
reelon

flipping and pitching

been new into fishing I would like inthis year to get the flipping and pitching tech. at least started. Is there a good article that could help me?

Pitching is my favorite type of fishing. I love pitching tubes, and remember always lean towards a heaviear line, because flipping and pitching can catch some big fish and you dont want to be on the end of a rod that just had its line snapped by a big bass

Ditto on Nick's comment about the wrist not the arm or elbow.Also experiment with twisting your hand so the line is at different angles off the rod tip I am right handed and reel left sometimes catch line on reel handle twisting helps this problem. I still have a ways to go before I am A master with the batitcaster!

Good  Luck!

Sinker48 :)

I am in the process of trying to teach a buddy how to pitch and flip.  And like the to said before, "IT"S ALL IN THE WRIST".  Also, think of your rod as a pendulum (sp?).  To cast, all tyou have to do is lift your rod tip up, with your wrist, to about 1 or 12 o'clock.

I have been trying to practice in my backward, but it seems very hard to avoid the moving of the arm  :'(, I will continue trying until I get it with the wrist only.  ;D

If you are a visual learner, and are serious about getting better at the techniques, I would recommend a DVD/VHS.  Bass Pro Shops has a line of videos with Kevin Van Dam, Larry Nixon, Woo Daves and Stacey King.  Each guy has three in a series of different techniques and patterns.  I would recommend all of them, but don't own any of the Stacey Kings.  

The one you may want to purchase is KVD's "Pitchin' To Heavy Hitters".  I am fairly certain that is the title.  It is about 40 minutes in length, and it is just about all technique oriented.  Don't be too proud, it is ridiculous how good that dude is with all the techniques.  I guarantee he could hit a dime from his boat from 25 yards plus.  

Anyway, just a tip, my opinion worth your while if you want to get some basic fundamentals.

Nothing works better for learning than "monkey see, monkey do". Get with someone in your area that knows and fish with them for a bit. You will have the basics down in one day.

I really do need to get with someone and learn form them and keep up with the practice.