Sign in to follow this  
steves

Fly Fishing Bass

Been searching for info on fly fishing for bass.  Couple of fun articles is all I found.

Looking for fly suggestions.

I'm fishing a small reservoir in central CA with some nice shallow/reeds/trees.  Water and weather are warm.  Water stained to muddy.

I was hoping someone could suggest a couple of fly patterns to try.

Also,  is fly fishing for bass a crime or something?

Heck I'll use anything that works.

Steve

what reservoir are you fishing?  i live in cen-cal, five minutes away from don pedro and mcclure.  i tie flies myself.  i've tied quite a few bass flies.  wooly buggers, poppers, etc.  i fish them in the ponds around my house.  pretty successful with them, too.

Dustin,

Coyote Reservoir near Gilroy.  Not the best spot, but you have what you have.  Just started over there and wanting to load up with some options for the summer.

I don't have any wooly buggers, so that's on my shopping list - thanks.

Lucky you!  Ponds to fish.

Steve

Really!  Coyote Reservoir!  Used to fish there all the time.  That was before they started opening at 8:00 am.  They used to let you in way earlier than that.  Any baitfish-looking fly will work great at Coyote.  Fish the weedbeds early in the morning (if they let you in).  Topwater flies will be an excellent bet, also.  If not fly fishing, Flukes or Super Flukes work very well.  Enjoy!   ;)

i took up fly fishing when i lived in oregon, and found wolly buggers in black and olive to work well, size depends on forage  ( try them with a smaller size tied on a leader then tied to the main flies' hook about 10 inches back).

i have also used poppers with AWESOME success  White and frog underside patterns) , usually 'round sundown.  i recently found the umpqua crawfish pattern, it has worked well, but take patience (i guess everything in flyfishing does!)  

good luck.

I usually do well with streamers and deer hair poppers.

crawfish imitations work good too.

grasshoppers have worked well for me too.  I usually throw them near the banks under overhanging trees.

Thanks guys!

Sounds like it's a setup I need to keep with me.  I'll pick up some of those patterns.

Kana - If I get you right you have two flies on at once?  Sounds like that takes some practice.

Steve

Sounds similar to a setup I have used. A grasshopper or popper on top with a dropper down below. Sometimes I will use an ant or cricket dropper so even if I'm not catching bass, I am sure to have some action with the bream, crappie, and even catfish!

Always a blast! And everytime I'm fishing the fly, I always smoke my partners with their spinning rods - makes it more fun! They used to joke me out, until one day, they couldn't get a bite and I caught like 45 fish. Now, one of them has a fly rod. I always carry mine in the boat just in case the bite is tough on spinning tackle.

Cool Captain!  Gonna have to make it a regular item for sure.

A few weeks ago brother-in-law and I were jigging bluegills.  I was filling the boat and he wasn't getting anything.  I felt so guilty I switched to the fly rod to give him a chance to catch up.

Nailed 'em that way too.  Eegad! panfish and a dry fly is a fun combo.  Can't wait to try it out on bass.

Steve

A ton of fun! I catch a ton of bluegill and bass on a john's hopper imitation or something similar. I prefer a more natural approach when using the fly as opposed to a bright popper. I have recently caught a couple 3 and 4lb bass and even a 10lb catfish on it. Talking about an awesome 10-15 fight.