Sign in to follow this  
Mr._Zoonker

Pop R feathers

After landing four bass today, the feathers on the rear treble hook of my Pop R are almost gone.  Are these feathers replaceable without having to buy a new hook?  Do I really need the feathers on the back?

you dont need feathers on them, mine still have the ones from the pack on but when the hook needs replaced ill probably just put a regular hook on it. the feathers help make the lure a little bigger and give it a little more action, kind of like the trailor on a jig. if you do want treble hooks with feathers on them cabelas and bass pro has them. im sure walmart probably does too and your local tackle shops

Feathers or other decoration are always good to have on the back hooks of a topwater bait. I purchased a little fly tying kit and make my own trailer hooks with feathers and deer hair.

I just picked up some Mustad feather dressed hooks at a local shop.  I didn't think they were outragously priced when compared to plain hooks.  I put them on some Yo-Zui lures and it sure made them look good, I guess I will pick up a few more packs and dress up a few more.  Since Will mentioned that, a good fly fishing shop will carry all kinds of different feathers and hair types.  I know the one I go to has a whole wall full of stuff.

Tie on new feathers or get some feathered hooks.

I seldom fish a topwater without them anymore.  They seem to get more strikes, especially from those fish that like to follow right under your bait, but will not commit to the strike.

Brad

The reason why people started changing thier pop r bucktail to a feather is because it puts more action in it. When the bait is at rest the feathers flare out and if there is a wave action or something the feathers move a bucktail don't. When you pop the bait the feathers contract much like a tail on a bait fish then when its at rest the feathers flare out again. People use feathers because a lot of times it seals the deal.