Sign in to follow this  
Low_Budget_Hooker

Take a kid fishing program

I've been searching the web for info on the take a kid fishing program. I would like to participate but can't find out who to contact. Any help?

We run a saltwater tournament to benefit battered wives and their kids. We take the kids out for one day of the tournament. Captain's only can take them out but it's a great time and very satisfying. I wanted to get involved at a level where the kids are younger and naturally attracted to fishing. When I was on the US freestyle ski team, we also did work w/ the special olympics . I also sent an email to the director(spec olymp) in Vermont to see if we can get somthing going there too. As for now, I just need a contact for the "take a kid fishing program".  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I teach the fishing merit badge for several Scout Troops in my town. That would be one place to start. I limit my clast to a max of two or three boys at a time.

I deliver (ups driver) to a good size bsa camp in Rockvillw, RI.  They own the lake up there which is jam packed w/ lm and sm.  I fish there when camp is out(spring/fall)  I would think that the boy scout troop leaders would be teaching the kids.  Would I have to become a scout leader to teach fishing or could I show up as a guest?

http://www.castforkids.org  takes out disabled and disadvantaged kids for a day of fishing.

No not at all. What you need to do is fill out a volunteer form so they can do a background check. You can get one from whatever scoutmaster you talk to. Tell the scoutmaster that you want to teach the fishing merit badge. He should give you all the requirements for the badge and you should give him all your contact information. The boys should call you and set up times where you can meet. You might be required to take a class or two on how to protect yourself. For example the biggest thing to know is never be alone with a boy. Always have another adult with you. The badge is about 3 to 6 hours of instruction and one or two fishing trips. But the instruction can be done on the fishing trip. It sounds like alot of work but it's not and the rewards are great.  

thanks Glenn, I sent them an email about getting an event in the northeast.  If we get an event going, may we incorporate the bassresource name and maybe rally up some volunteers here?  Feel free to pm me.

Let's discuss offline. (as in "via PM" instead of this thread)

Thanks!

You might be required to take a class or two on how to protect yourself. For example the biggest thing to know is never be alone with a boy. Always have another adult with you.  

Sad commentary on the times...   :-/