Sign in to follow this  
snide

Need some help.

A friend of mine and I went fishin today at a private Lake that is about 60 acers in size, the thing about it is it is a manmade lake dug for fill for the interstate exit ramp back in the 60's. It is round with very little cover and no laydowns around it, just a few small shrubs here and there. It is deep in the middle around 50 foot and rises gradually to steep mud banks.

We caught a few real nice Bass (four 5 pounders) and probably 5 a pound or two. We threw everything we had at'em but caught the big ones on CrankBaits. What was so hard was, being there were no structure and flat to gradually rising bottom, the fish were hard to pattern.

Any ideas?? The place reminds me of a rock quary h0w would you fish it?? It is a deep strip lake with cloudy stained water??

I would try a carolina rig probing the bottom for rocks, brush, or weeds. Then try and remember what depth the fish were caught out of and if they are all in the same depth zone then you can walk around and fish that depth. Bowl shape lakes can be hard to pattern the fish.

If you can get permision from owner, i would take and dump trees or rocks at various locations ( make a map) Then next season you know exactly where you can(most of the time) find the fish.

i agree with tenka. take a small boat and dump out old christmass trees and tree branches and stuff tied together with a cinder block on them and make brush piles.

Very good stuff!

I am sure we could sink some cover, do old tires still work well or is that not healthy?

This lake is very clean with a solid shale bottom there is no cover that we could find, we caught our biggest bass of a small submerged road bed, that was the only structure in the whole lake!

Thanks for the input!!

PS: I always Texas rig my worms, I am going to have to try Carolina Rigging them, I guess this is very productive!

I am sure we could sink some cover, do old tires still work well or is that not healthy?

I don't know about old tires, but if were thinking about using them, i would scrub them down with simple green(biodegradable cleaner, not toxic to 99.9% of the enviroment) just to get any toxins off the skin of it and drill lots of holes so no air pockets can form.