Sign in to follow this  
powerfish

algae bloom

Hope someone can help,  I have a tourny this weekend and was not able to prefish the reservoir and  I was told it had a pretty good algae bloom going.  the res. has large and smallmouth with water temps around 80 degrees.  (surface temp mid day). what will the algae bloom do to the fish with that kind of water temp?  Any advice will be helpfull.  Thanks Ray

Thanks, plenty of deep water, up too 80-90ft.  Does the algae affect the fish like runoff does, or because it comes on slower it wont have that effect.  Also would you concentrate on main lake points or secondary points.  Thanks :)

Fish below the algae bloom. Sometimes you will find fish just under it. Look for places where the bloom isn't as bad like in coves. Fish deeper! I fished a lake last year that had a bad algae bloom and between 3 boats and fishermen only one guy had a great day. The other two people fished the same areas they always fished and turned up empty. In this lake when the bloom happends everything shallow don't hold fish. It changes the ph of the water and fish move out of these areas. On the first day I caught fish swimming a jig under the bloom. The next week I caught them using a DT6. I caught fish suspended out in the main lake and in the deeper coves. You don't need to fish super deep but just deeper than the bloom.