Sign in to follow this  
playmaker47

rust on hooks

i have a couple of spinnerbaits that the hooks are still good on and they are still really sharp and really strong, but they have gotten some rust on the hooks. how should i go about getting this off?

Rub them with steel wool, that eliminates the rust and doesn 't sand the chrome away.

If the hooks are still strong, just use a little steel wool or very fine sandpaper on them, then I'd coat them with a little Rust Remover.  This liquid actually bonds to the metal to eradicate rust.  Comes in a small bottle and dries pretty fast.  Will darken the metal though, but who cares.

I use a small wire brush that works pretty well. It's long-handled and the whole thing is about the size of a toothbrush.

I take them off. If I don't have new ones around I'll put them in the tumbler for a hour. This is the tumbler that I clean and polish my empty ammo cases with. Makes them bright and shiney.

L.D.

Star Brite Hull cleaner and a tooth brush will take care of it if the rust is light. If there is visible pitting then get rid of them.

Didn't even think of those kinds of products.  "on/off" is a marine product that does wonders on removing rust stains from boat decks,etc.  Active ingredient is osolic acid.