Sign in to follow this  
Hookhead

Questions about Uncle Josh No. 11a

When jig fishing I usually use plastic FLW trailers.  Last weekend I bought some Uncle Josh's and decided to give them a try.  Is it just me or are these incredibly difficult to pierce with the hook?  Do I need to drill a pilot hole or bring a hammer next time?  What do you guys do?

t39176313.jpg + B0000302PY.01.TZZZZZZZ.jpg = oct2002flipping2.jpg ???

Ahh man that is hilarious ;D But yea, they are kind of a pain to get off/on. I usually have most problems removing them. I don't have any secret tips though, just bend em' and twist em' until they go on or come off.

Last time I checked, there was a slit where the hook was supposed to go.  Unless, Ole Uncle Josh has changed his tune, I would think that they would still be there.  

Besides, I use ZOOM trailers, for all the jig trailer needs, and I have not had a single problem from them in cold, warm, or hot water.   ;D

I'm going back to pork, I've been using plastic this year and not having much luck. It's not really the plastics fault, I just have confidence in pork.

My only problem with plastic is they fall off if I'm jigging weeds or rough structure. I've always wanted to try real pork. I'm deterimined to make it work.

drill_press_thumb.jpg

The Uncle Josh pork has a pre-punched hole in it. It goes on very easy but can be tough to get off sometimes. I have the best luck removing it by rotating the pork 180 degrees and pulling against the flat back part of the hook opposite the barb. It takes practice but I can usually remove it now in just a little flip of the pork. The nice thing about pork is that it stays on the hookthru thick and thin where the plastic tends to pull off after a little while. The drawback is you need to keep it wet or it will dry out.

Thanks all.  I'll have to closely inspect my pork (ahem) when I get home tonight.  I didn't see a pre-punched hole, I'll have to look closer.