Sign in to follow this  
Guest avid

best depth for buzzin?

Guest avid

What is the depth you fish buzzbaits at that is the most successful.  I think this is generally a bait good for no deeper than 5' maybe shallower.  What do you think?  Also, is it just a low light bait or do you use them in the middle of the day?

thanks

I have often buzzed laydowns that extend from the bank, and head off into the channel.  The end of the tree was sitting in close to 10 ft. of water.  I would not go much deeper, unless the water is gin clear.

There have been days where I have thrown nothing but a buzzbait, and caught 20-30 fish from it.

Just something that you gotta experiment with.

Most of the time, though, I fish them early in the mornings, and late in the evenings.

I have caught fish midday on windy overcast days. Depth depends on the fish, I usually fish them in shallow water, but have seen guys catch em over grassbeds in 10-12 ft of water.

I think texasbass1 is correct, it's not the depth of the water, but the depth of the fish.  During spawn, I find the buzzbait is deadly on the shallow flats.  During post spawn it slacks off and then picks up again in the summer when fish are suspended on grass beds.  I don't think you could consistently pull them up from more than 6-8 feet, but I could be wrong.

wow, I just learned somethin I didn't know.  I figured buzzbaits were really only used on top of the water, unless you killed it and then started to retrieve again.

Not sure what you learned -- buzzers are topwater bait, I think the question was about from how deep would they pull the fish to hit on the topwater.  At least that was what I was referring to.

Actually, I have used buzzbaits as a slow moving spinnerbait.  They displace a lot of water, which is great in muddy water conditions, and if you have a metal blade, the flash is next to none.

So, don't be afraid to switch up and use a buzzer as a spinnerbait.  It's something that the fish have not seen or felt under the water, and it's something that will put a couple of extra bass in the livewell for ya.   :D

Water clarity has alot to do with it. I have pulled spotted bass out of 25ft of water with a Bama Rig which is a Topwater Rig.

LBH, Theirs another Rig for ya. I am friends with it's creator. I will have to take some pictures of one when I get back from vacation so you can see it.

there is no 'best depth' for buzzin.  i have caughtt them in forty feet of water because they were suspending.  its more liek what is your confidence depth for buzzin.  mine would be 12ft. and above

oh, I was assuming the depth y'all were talkin about is where the buzzbait is at.  nevermind though, I understand now..

and I might have to try usin it as a spinnerbait in murky water...  somethin different can't hurt.