Sign in to follow this  
Matt Fly

brush piles

Can I re-phrase my Question?  I have always mixed  the types of brush and limbs I sink.   I have always wired in the middle, at least a 1/3 of a flake of alfalfa to draw bait fish in.  What  else my might be used for an added attractant to draw more bass.

I would like to know what other bass fishermen use to bait out their brush piles with. I have used alfalfa hay for a long time. I use hard woods, they last longer, and a mixture of cedar, elms, willows. They all draw fish. I'll be on Fork tonight test ing my newest brush piles out. Hook'em!!!!!

Depends on what I am wanting to attract.  I will use hardwoods to attract the fish quicker, and they seem to attract more bass than crappies.  However, I will throw in a bunch of Christmas-trees tied together, and weighted with a cynder-block, and wait for a year, and they will attract, it seems, more crappies than bass.

Just depends on what you wanna use.  There are a lot of man-made plastic brushpiles that you can use.

Aromatics like cedars and pines to me give off odors that repel fish for a while. For that reason, I don't like using fresh ones for brush pile making. I do like heavy green tress like sycamore,cherry, and oak because they sink easily. I have  used others like willow that require too much weight to sink. All sem to hold fish if they are put in migration or "fish highway" spots.  A large naked flat close to a creek channel would rate tops for me.

I've been using limbs cut from elm's trees forever on the lake I live on and they work great. I haven't noticed a certain species holding to a specific type of brushpile yet. I have noticed it only takes a day or two for bass to start holding in the piles once they are placed.

All sem to hold fish if they are put in migration or "fish highway" spots

I placed all my brushpiles in a way so that fish follow a path and end up staying in a certain area more. So far its been very successful. This is my first year placing the piles in such a pattern and in return it has been my most successful yr on this lake in over 15 yrs.

Whenever I sink brush,I always sink it in about 20 feet of water and 90% of the time,on a point.I'll sink any kind of wood too,doesnt make a difference to me.Sure,the hardwood piles last longer but I dont see any big difference over my Xmas tree piles or the hardwood as far as holding fish goes.