Sign in to follow this  
abelfisher

"Palming" the reel???

I have read numerous posts about palming the reel.

What is palming?

When should one "palm" the reel?

Sorry for the stupid question, but my curiosity got the best of me ;D

Palming is a way of holding a baitcaster.  You put the side plate in the palm of your hand with the trigger of the rod in between your middle and ring finger and reel with the other hand-at least that is the way I do it

Here are a couple of pics from an old post that ask a similar question.

RodGrip004.jpg

RodGrip003.jpg

The pics above are exactly how I hold a reel except I keep my pincky behind the trigger.  I like to hold reels this way not only because it feels "right" for me, but alos because the line passes over youe index finger for extra feel.

Hmmmm :o    I guess the bassers could have very well stolen a word from our flyfishing arsenal.  I'd never heard a bass fisherman or a baitcaster fisherman use the word palming, but maybe it carries two different definitions :-/.  In the flyfishing world though...palming is the simple act of using the exposed rim of a fly reels spool to slow down a fish on a run, kind of like an extra drag, just like thumbing your spool on your baitcaster if the spool were not engaged.  Fly reels are usually very smooth and it makes for a really nice tool to slow down a big bonefish or trout that takes your fly and heads for Bermuda in a hurry.  

same word, but different meaning.  with a baitcaster, its only the way you hold the reel/rod.

I do the same naturally.  but what feels right to me is the trigger between my middle/ring finger.

Yup, I hold all my baitcasters that way, from the low profile to the big round ones.

I like being able to finger the line for the extra sensitivity.

I hold mine where the trigger on the rod is between the bird and ring finger.

The pics above are exactly how I hold a reel except I keep my pincky behind the trigger. I like to hold reels this way not only because it feels "right" for me, but alos because the line passes over youe index finger for extra feel.

This is exactly what I do.  It feels natural and you have tons of crontrol.

Same here thats how I hold them. Anybody seen George Cochran hold his reels it seems he doesn't even have his hand on the reel much, but holds the rod under the reel? Or maybe thats just how he fishes a crankbait, gives the fish more time to eat the bait before he sets the hook.