Sign in to follow this  
Guest River_stumps

Take a child fishing

Guest River_stumps

I enjoy bass fishing like no other thing that I can think of doing. But I really enjoy taking a kid fishing and teaching him the good things of life, and watching him grow and mature into a young man with more good values than he would get if he were on his neighbor hood strrets. So any time you get a free day on your hands, fire up your boat, call your friend and invite him and his son or daughter to go fishing with you.

people stress on taking young folks fishing.  I can agree.  and teaching them good fishing principles is key to ensure our waters for years to come.  

now-a-days many lakes around where I live have made it illegal to fish on the banks of the lakes.  Mostly due to people leaving trash.  

I think its also important to teach them how to handle the fish, and to practise catch-and-release.  especially, as hard as it may be, to throw the bigger fish back.  they are the ones that will spawn and will produce better offspring.  (so maybe after their first big fish, lol, I dont think they'll let u put the first one back)

Guest River_stumps

I stress the point of catch and release to the young. I agree with you. It is hard for them to let go of their first keeper bass. But most of them will ask what is the importance of letting it go. That's when it's get's hard for me. But after I explain to him/her that it will grow into a bigger bass, and just maybe you will get to catch it again. Then they seem to understand. Good day and happy fishing

I am reading a book by Bill Murphy, "In Pursuit of Giant Bass".

he stresses on the issue of releasing the big bass before releasing the smaller bass.  

its a great idea with the reasons he gives for that.

I have seen fishing shows and read books/articles where fishing Pro's talk about taking a kid fishing -- one thing several of them have said is "leave your rod at home and concentrate on them".  This is especially important in the beginning for kids, but their competitive spirit will take over after awhile and you may find it difficult to outcatch them once they get hooked ;)

Guest River_stumps

You're right. I rarely fish when I have a child on the boat with me. I'm usually buisy showing them little things and taking the birdsnest out of their reels. But it dosen't bother me, because someone did the same for me at one time in my life. You have a good day and happy fishing.

I try and get my friends into fishing and just go "Fishing", no specific species for them. Just go out with a big rooster tail and fish. Then i switch them over to bass after they realize they fight better.

Guest River_stumps
I try and get my friends into fishing and just go "Fishing", no specific species for them. Just go out with a big rooster tail and fish. Then i switch them over to bass after they realize they fight better.
You seem like a nice young person for wanting to get your friends involved with the sport of fishing. You are doing the right thing. And it dosen't make any difference as to what kind of fish they start catching. Altho the bass are harder to catch, plus they put up a good pull.  And your friends will catch on to that if you continue to keep them involved. Happy fishing.

plus you're building a "partner" list the whole time.  My partners list is huge now and there is always someone to fish with.

Guest TNT_Hookers

My wife and I take our 3 kids (ages 8, 6, and 3) fishing a lot.  It's definitely an experience...you're constantly untangling line and replacing lost worms.

:P

I talk my little sister fishing and all my friends and its nuts how excited and hooked even girls its kinda like the new fade at my school

its only a stereotype that women dont like fishing.  as some of them might not like it.  there are the same that will find they enjoy it.

Guest River_stumps

I have three grown daughters that are School Teachers here in Eastern Virginia, but their occupations dosen't keep them from wanting to go fishing with Dad. And once in a great while, one of my daughters will get the urge  to ask me to take her fishing. She always takes me back to those days when they were younger and would go out to the Lake or river and catch small pan fish. I remember like it was yesterday that I would let them catch more fish so they could come home with bragging rights as to who caught the most fish. Those were the days. And I'm so glad now that I got them involved.

Don't stereotype.  I've got a nine year old granddaughter that will out fish a lot of ya'll.  She thows a Shimano 101B baitcaster as good as most.  She's been throwing one over a year and I taught here the right way, cast with her right, reel with her left.  She's very good with, spinner baits, a couple of cranks, a couple of  top waters and jigging spoons.  Fixing to start teaching here plastic worms.  Here largest bass is only 4 1/2 lbs but loss one that would have gone 7 - 8.  Here favorite story is how she skunked me one day.  She caught two nice bass, and I loss one on the first point we hit.  While moving to the next location, motor broke and TM'd back to ramp, so we had to quit.   My dad named that point Ashley's point because that's where she skunked her papa.  There have been several occasions where she has caught the biggest fish of the day when in the boat with me and my dad.

boy, am i in the dog house.  i took my son and his friend fishing for bluegill sat. a.m.  i have two young kids i am fostering (boy and girl, 5 and 4) who want me to take them too.  i had to work from 2 - 7 on sunday and thought i would be home to fish w/them but had to stay past dark.  the wife was hot!  the kids waited on me and i was late.  gotta make this one up quick!