Sign in to follow this  
Preston

Tying your own hair jigs.

I was just wondering if any of you guys tied thier own hair jigs and i was also wondering if you needed any special equipment and if it is an easy thing to do. I fish for smallmouth and it gets to be a pain looking for hair jigs with the right color and weight and ive thought about this for some time but never commited becuase i dont know how much money it would take. I know some people who tie thier own flys and they do jigs too but i have no experence in tying anything except fishing knots and i was just wondering would it be worth it to get into it.

Guest the_muddy_man

you know I tried this once and It hurt too much when I tried to pull out my own hair ;D

i tie my own jigs. the only thig you'll need is a fly vise, bobbin, thread and hair, or feathers whatever you plan on doin. head cement( i use clear nail polish).

any fly tying site will give the basic idea.

i do up shad darts over the winter.

you need a vice, bobbin, thread, head cement, bucktail, marabou, and a determination, cuz its hard.  when you get these materails p.m. me and i will give you detailed instructions

I picked up a cheap vise (either $10 or $20) from Bass Pro Shops. Bucktails normally run me $0 (for natural colors only) since my Dad hooks me up in the fall  ;D  otherwise they run about $4. Thread and some cement.

I've tied a few bass sized jigs for one of my fishing partners but haven't received a review on those yet. I've tied some larger ones (for musky) and I can tell you there is nothing more rewarding than landing a decent fish on a lure that you have made!