Sign in to follow this  
gajpb

Help and advice for a cold windy day

Ok here's the situation. 50 degree temps and a fourteen mile an hour wind. What's your best bet (in your opinion)? Sticking out the wind and fishing the points where the current will collect the shad, or staying out of the cold in the backs of coves pitching a jog or spinnerbait? Or perhaps concrete boatramps?

In Georgia I would tough it out on the points then fall back on the the other areas if that didn't produce.

Thats what I figured. Now, question #2. Crankbait or C-rig? I think crankbait fished slow to medium because its faster.

I would hit the bank that the wind is blowing against with cranks, and jigs.

I would start out like Chris said and fight the wind on the points.Wind can be tough to fish but it can also help.Fish seem to bite better in the wind vs. no wind at all.I would go with a carolina rig with a 3/4 ounce sinker and possibly on a little bit lighter line.This will help keep the bow out of your line.If the fish were suspended I would go to a jerkbait and hope for the best. Good Luck  CJ

Medium diving Cranks across the wind blown points. I've been using a Bill Norman's Chart/Blue Back med diver, dragging it through Cypress trees, knocking those knees here in South Georgia. If you are in North Georgia, I would use Crawish colored Cranks or drag a C-rigged plastic Crawfish across the points. The mouth of coves close to shallow water bedding grounds also would be good. Fish the North West side of the lake if possible. It will warm up first. Tightlines!!!

Let the wind blow and give me a Trap. I also like to fish sunny down wind banks with a jerkbait and crankbait. Keep a eye on your temp and look for the warmest water when it gets real cold.IMO

Thats what I figured. Now, question #2. Crankbait or C-rig? I think crankbait fished slow to medium because its faster.

I would say crankbait or spinnerbait because you can stay in contact with your bait better and feel the bite.

I would throw a crankbait. But then again I hardly ever use a c-rig. A jig might be a good bait as well on rocky banks with wind blowing into them.

Guest avid

When the wind is blowing accross the points I like a spinnerbait.  When it is blowing  into or out from the points I like a jig.

I'm making this a spinnerbait year. Have never had much luck with one, so I am making an effort--rather--forcing myself to use one. Same goes with fishing points in general. Thanks.