Sign in to follow this  
rocknfish9001

Northern lake, trout stocked

I have a lake next to me that has been stocked with rainbows for about 10-15 years. I was wondering if I might catch some big fish by using those monster trout swimbaits like you cali guys do. I didnt know if the same techniques would apply, since my average fish is around of under 1 lb. I bet there are big guys in there because it is a good lake that isnt fished real hard, but i havent fished it real hard myself. I have great results with a 3.5 inch troutish colored tube. Its a grey purpley color. I was wondering if a big trout like this would catch even these littler fish.

I have a lake that I fish in Illinois that has a trout stocking program and the bass here do feed on the trout. Sometimes guys fishing for trout have their trout taken off the hook by a bass. A bass can eat a fish that is 75% of it's size. Most bait's even swim baits are not to big for a grown bass.

What is the best choice for a 2lb and under fish. What lure, color, size, and retrieve. I was thinking a natural color around 6" or so. Or am i going to regret a small bait.

Interesting post rocknfish! I have two lakes in mind that I want to try trout swimbaits here in MD. I've seen surveys DNR has done and it definitely has some nice fish in there (up to 7#s is what they have shown in their press releases). I really wish I would have had a swimbait last fall when I was out on the on lake last fall. While I was fishing (had the whole lake to myself) when DNR pulled in and unloaded a truck load of trout.

All of my lakes are stocked with trout, My favorite is a Zoom Fluke, or a Ghost baits G-stick in rainbow trout color and working them as jerkbaits. No need to throw huge swimbaits in northern Lakes, all you need is a 6 inch swimbait or a HUGE Crawfish Immatitor.