Sign in to follow this  
carpfisher

Techniques with a rattletrap and swimbait

I'm going to Lake Guntersville next week.  It looks like the water temperature is going to be in the high 40s to low 50s.  It looks like from the reports that I have read is the rattle trap is the go to bait.

What different techiques or retrieves would you suggest on using the rattle trap bait?

Also I am going to try using a 5" or 6" swimbait.  I have never tried one.  Hoping to catch a real monster using the swimbait.  What kind of techniques and/or retrieves would you use?

Try ripping the bait. Let the rattle trap catch a little grass on the retrieve and then give it a solid pop to free the grass and cause a reaction strike.

You'll have to experiment with the swimbaits. Most of my strikes have come on a slow retrieve. I've had strikes by deadsticking baits in bad weather (cold fronts &/or high wind).

The best, by far, is a slow-medium retrieve past ambush points. Which swimbaits will you be throwing?

I'm not familiar with those two swimbaits you mentioned but I do use Matt's swimbaits and have caught several Bass with them.  As Roger said, just throw it out, let it fall to whatever depth you want, and then just reel it in slowly and steadily.  At least that's what has worked for me.  The profile and tail action do all the 'work' with Matt's baits.  Be sure to coat the swimbait with Megastrike(preferred) or some slick, greasy attractant to allow the swimbait to slide inside the Bass's mouth for a good hookset.

I point my rod directly at the bait, keeping slack out of the line.  My bites have been 'soft' thumps and you must start reeling as you sweep your rod to set the hook...no hesitation...just reel/swing and continue reeling.

Dan