Sign in to follow this  
Brian_Reeves

Big Freakin Dropshots

Anyone tried this yet?

Take a Tiki Shaddick (9 incher) or some other type of monster bait and somehow make it stick out straight on a heavy dropshot?  

I wanna find some better and more finesse ways to fish deep water hydrilla (summertime) and I'm thinking that jigs and dropshots are the key.  (At least that's what all the pro's say)  But what I don't get is that generally smaller fish hit the dropshots.  Would beefing up the lure sacrifice too many of the qualities that make dropshotting so effective or is it worth a try?

Brian

-Ain't Texans-

Aint, I'm thinking along the same lines that you are. I'm definately going to try some larger size baits on a dropshot rig this year. I just picked up a package of larger sized Fin-S fluke style bait that I think is going to work out just great. I still need to get a few heavier drop shot weights. I'm thinking that fishing slow and deep will produce right after ice out. 14 more days to go until fishing season :)

If you're anything like me, you hate finesse fishing but know that it's worth doing to pull up a full stringer...especially during tournaments.  I guess I might be trying to add too much of my power side into my finesse tactics but I honestly believe it's worth a shot.

Brian

-Ain't Texans-

i know guys who power drop shot and it works.they do it with 50 lb.power pro and 7 inch worms with big ewg flippin hooks.you can use a ready rigged carolina clacker 3/4 oz for the bottom weight.i did it once and caught a nice bass on it when nothing else was working.i plan to try it more this year.some guys tie a heavy jig on the bottom for a weight.

http://bassresource.com/fishing/dropshot_beds.html

This is an article from about 4 years ago about fishing a bigger

drop shot during the spawn.

JT Bagwell

Ps: I even noticed a spelling error or two that I made in the article.