Sign in to follow this  
Nicky Greece

Dock Baiting

Whats up Guys, (and gals).  When i was younger i had a buddy whos uncle always baited his dock with dried corn tied to rods in the water.  Said it brought in more Cats.  My question is this:  Is there anything i can do with muy dock that will attract more fish.  I know all about submerging cover, but wasnt sure if anyone used anything else.   Im boatless at the moment, and truly enjoy Dock Fishing with friends into the wee hours of the morning.   Anything you got will help...as always..Its appreciated.

Set up some cover. Get a bucket load of worms and drop 3 or 4 in every day or two soon you'll have a bunch of fish just hanging out under the dock. But if you hook into them to often they won't hang around they are smarter tham most people give them credit for.

if you "Just Want to Catch Fish" put a feeder on thedock.  pretty soon they'll be around your dock like hogs around a feeding trough.

I've used a variation of the work tactic before.  I would take whatever nightcrawlers i had leftover from a night of fishing and thrown th whole lot in before i went to bed.  Then id through a green Buzzbait as soon as i woke up in the morning.  Seemed to me it worked.  

The feeder is something i think ill look into.  What about ways to attract baitsish?

We have dropped multiple cedar trees under docks for cover. This is done primarily for crappie but we always seem to pull a few smaller bass out of them as well.  

Now, this is something we are going to try this year (since a few other posts have convinced me big bass like the structure more than cover).  We are going to drop large rocks off the end of a couple of docks to make a 'structure' off the bottom. If anybody thinks this a bad idea, speak up and save me the trouble of rolling 50 pounds rocks into the water!  :-?

While it sounds like a good idea, unfortunately, the end of my dock is in about 6 feet of water.  Which leaves about three feet of water to tie a friends boat onto.  I was thinking about dropping a few small bushes on each side though.

Except for the fact that chumming is horribly illegal in most states. I know it is in MO. I would go with LBH's suggestion and start dropping small cedar trees and the like in deeper water a little further away from your dock where you cast to.

I always tie in a large flake of alfalfa hay into my brush piles. What ever you decide is fine, the key is to hold bait fish and perch, if theres bait to be had, the fish will come on their own. Xmas/Christmas trees are tight and just right for pan fish but don't last as long as your hard timbers, like oak.  A mixture of both will do the job.

Buy a cheap deer feeder the ones that go off at dawn and dusk. Fill it with fish food (pebbles) and soon you will have all the catfish and baitfish you could ever want.