Sign in to follow this  
blanked

carolina rig question

didnt see this anywhere else.   do any of you succeed with draging the weight around  in rocks and hydrilla?  how can i keep from getting snagged ?

To deal with hydrilla.

1. Lengthen your leader untill it reduces grass pickup.

2. Use a lighter weight so it works the top of the grass without punching through.

3. Use a streight shank worm hook.

4. Use a worm with a pointed nose. (ie. finesse or trick worm)

5. Instead of working your rig with a sideways sweeping motion use a up and down pick up motion.

6. You can also switch to another type of weight. Like a mojo weight or a sharp point bullet weight.

42622.jpg

MOJO Sinker

For rocks use this sinker.

444-044.jpg

you can also crig with a floating rapala  instead of a lizard or worm  it will give more bouyancy to keep bait over the grass  if its not that high up

Fluke,those are some tips I needed.We got grass coming back strong on our lake(they killed it out about 10 years ago).

If the grass is submerged I do well with a light Carolina rig and let it ride on top of the grass. I also use a floating lizard with a short leader to keep the bait just up off the grass. If your using a heavy rig a long leader is the way to go. If your just worm fishing try a belly weight so that the bait will lay flat on top of the grass and not dig in. If your pitching to holes in the grass use a heavy weight and make sure it is pegged to punch the bait to the bottom without having the weight hang up and get caught. Also you might want to go with a lure that don't have a ribbon tail or appendages that might hang up. Under the hydilla  because of the way it grows there is tunnels that the bass will use close to the bottom. The stuff will grow up and top out leaving and open area under it. These tunnels become a highway for the bass. So if you can't get them on a Carolina rig here are other options. ;)

If you haven't had the chance to try a Carolina Keeper get some. They are the best things for C-Rigs.

They make your C-rig leader fully adjustable and you only have to tie one knot.

425-350-02.jpg

You pinch them in a pair of pliers and the slit in the middle opens up. Then slide the line through the hole and it takes the place of the swivel. Slide it up and down the line to adjust you leader length.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=23166&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

all right these are good tips guys!  if i am going to fish in approx 15 feet of water and need to lighten up on the weight to keep it above the grass,  what would be a good weight to start with?

is the idea here to use the floating lure to counter balance the weight so the whole rig is riding on top of the grass??

The idea is to use enough weight to stay in contact with the bait but not heavy enough to dig in. The floating lure just keeps the bait out of the grass and in plain view of the bass. With a heavy Carolina rig the bait doesn't just lay on top of the grass the weight falls and the lure also. If the leader is long enough the weight doesn't drive the lure into the grass and it just sits on top. With a floating lure the bait will suspend just above the grass. The light weight is used just for casting distance and so that you can detect strikes. By using a light weight it doesn't have enough weight to fall deep in the grass and dig in. You can do the same thing with a dropshot rig but you might want to use braid to ****** the weight out of the weeds without breaking off the weight. Sometimes I would use a no snag weight as a dropshot weight because it is long and attached at the top to keep the weight up and lay flat on top of the grass. After you cast when you drag the dropshot the line is at and angle and it is easy keep it up on top.

so as far as working the light carolina rig in grass do you reel just slow enough to feel a bit of drag of the weight hitting the grass,  or drag the rig with the rod tip ?  is a glass bead necessary here?

how light of a weight are you refering to with a floating lure?  

1/4 or 3/8 oz (whatever you can get away with depending on how thick the stuff is and how much weight the weeds will support) you can drag it and if it feels like it starting to hang up a little just shake it loose. Most of the time I just shake it loose and then hop it. This should free the bait from most weeds. The only time I just drag a Carolina rig is if I was fishing a point or sand weeds are a different story unless it is sparse weeds. The rattle bring attention to the bait.

I fish very clear water and I hardly ever use a bead or rattle. But it does draw attention to your lure.

If your sinker comes back with grass on it that is just fine. If your worm gets allot of grass then change something. You might be shaking the grass off the weight and it just moves down the line and hangs on the worm. Shake it one more time to see if you can clean the worm. This is when the straight shank worm hook comes in handy. It doesn't have the offset bend to catch the grass.

The lake that I fish is well known for its hydrilla. It is so clear that the grass is found as deep as 15 to 20ft and can grow all the way to the surface. But in the spring the grass is short. My rule of thumb is to fish short leaders in the spring and as it gets warmer my leader gets longer.

When I fish wood cover I will use a short 10 to 12inch leader with the 1/4 oz or lighter sinker pegged. This reduces hang-ups and prevents the dreaded wrap around.

Sometimes I forget that some people don't know much about a rig and sometimes I throw more confusion in the mix taking the rig three steps ahead of the original purpose. Figure it out then when you got it down toy around with it trying other things ;)

Sometimes I forget that some people don't know much about a rig and sometimes I throw more confusion in the mix taking the rig three steps ahead of the original purpose. Figure it out then when you got it down toy around with it trying other things ;)

No finer words have been spoken.