Sign in to follow this  
JF1

drop shot for spawn

I haven't heard very many people talk about doing this, and wanted to know if anyone else uses a drop shot technique while sight fishing?  I have found this to be extremely effective in getting a bass to bite while sight fishing beds.

I simply tie on a drop shot rig, along with a texas rigged senko (bubble gum or white).  I choose these colors because I can see them better while they are on the bed.  I don't dropshot vertically though, I dropshot horizontally.  I past beyond the bed, and pull the senko right on top of the bed.  The dropshot allows me to pick the senko and let it fall as often as I want while keeping it on the bed.

I hear about all these people sight fishing, however I don't hear anyone else talk about catching bedding bass this way.  Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Wow sight fishing with a dropshot rig on beds what where they thinking lol This is the most jam up rig you could ever use for site fishing or bed fish! ;)

Funny that you bring this up. Last night before I went off to bed I was reading my new "B.A.S.S Advanced Bass Fishing Skills: Best Lure, Techniques And Presentations Ultimate Bass Fishing Library" and I read this witch emphasizes what you said smoothcharlene, and I quote "A drop shot rig makes a perfect sight fishing tool. Cast it ahead of crusing prespawn fish, or drop it directly onto a bed - on dry land, if necessary - then slowly pull back untill the lure is positioned directly above the bedding area. By lowering and then lifting the rod tip, a fisherman can make repeated presentaions over a bass' "Hot Zone" without making repeated casts." It explains it the same way smoothcharlene explains it. Im going to try this technique the next time I hit the water. ;) 8-)

Its one of my favorite ways to bed-fish. I usually use a 3/8 to 1/2 0z. Quickdrops Sinker and only have maybe a 3inch leader with a KGM Custom Baits Goby or a Ghost Baits Goby, both have lots of action and look exactly like a little fish picking off a bed.

I have been fortunate enough to have been able to fish with a Japanese pro about 6 or 7 years ago, when dropshot was actually called downshot. This is what we were doing to catch SO many fish right behind other guys. It works so well, but now that he is down south, fishing on the tour, his methods have changed. He does have it rigged up, and does throw it, along with 4 other techniques to get the bedding fish to bite. It is amazing to watch. Really puts you in your place to see how a pro can figure out EXactly if the fish will bite, what they will bite, and what they need to do to get it to bite....hop it, deadstick, crash it, etc. I guess after seeing and catching thousands of fish, then they can shortcut the means and methods that the weekend angler goes thru.  :)

Brianh