Sign in to follow this  
bassin  baller

northern pond fishing questions

hey what type of lures should i used for about a 20 acre pond the weather has been 40's 50's 60's and almost int he 70's some days here in michigan and i want to fish this pond that i fished lsat year and did great on in the summer. the one shoreline is coverd in brush and laydowns and there is a dam on one end and also a culver sucking water in to a creek on one side and some standing timber by the culvert but i was wondering what type of lures to use and some techniques any help would be nice thanks. and i will be fishing it in a boat. a small rowboat. the lake has been unfrozen for about 2 and a half weeks.

Guest bigtex

Well, around that type of cover I would start out with a mid to shallow crank bait and if that didn't produce I would go to soft plastic t-rig with a light weight.  If for some reason that doesn't produce then I would tie on a jig and pig.   Other than that get some dynamite.  LOL ;D  Just kidding........or am I :-X

sounds alot like my ponds.........I always start the year off fishing with jigs and suspending jerkbaits around the deeper weedlines(about 6'-8' feet deep). On real sunny warm days I usually hit the inside edge (2'-5'feet, shore side) with the same baits, but have done well with senko type baits, and super flukes as well.

I usually catch them on the weeds. Look for the most obvious weedbeds, and  the deepest. Fish the edges and holes with weightless senko style worms, tube baits with 1/8 oz. insider heads, and i have recently had good luck with sweet beavers t-rigged, 1/8 oz. bullet weight. I also live in MI, so our weather should be fairly close. Where in the state are you? I live in eau claire, which is in berrien county. (very southwest corner)