Sign in to follow this  
BassinBoy

Wooly Hawgtail

I don't think durability would be an issue.The texture is the same as all other Yum baits. Then again I couldn't tell you.I have never even so much as had a fish breathe on one. Same good old colors I always use.Have been on a hot flippin bite many times catching fish on a large variety of baits and colors then throw that goofy thing in there and they laugh at it.

Do I think it is a bad bait? No, it is just one of those great mysteries in life  ;D

I like the hawgtails on a carolina rig.

I prefer the wooley bug for flippin. I went through about 50 packs last year.

One of my go to baits. Underrated for sure. I remember catching 10 or 11 on one bait one evening until a pike or musky decided he wanted it more than me. Excellent hookups too as you can expose the hook thru one of the ribs and it will still be weedless. I have had them where after one fish a leg was missing though.

The Wooly Hawgtail is an incredibly versatile bait. Definetly one of my favorite, if not favorite creaturebait. There are many ways you can fish them and produce, and I'll tell you the ways I fish them with most success.

1. First way I fish them is waitless, almost like you would fish a senko, in open water, or along the edge of the shoreline/coves etc. Just cast out, let it sink, then hop it or crawl it, and bring jerk it back up, and let it fall, and then repeat the process. Fish take this creature weightless in the open water, just like they would a senko or curlytail worm.

2. On top of weedmats. This is probably my favorite way to fish it. I'll cast it around some thick muck, and begin to fish it weightless as said in "1.", then when I get to the muck I'll crawl it on top of the muck, like you would a hollow frog, giving it alot of twitches on top of that muck, and pauses. The bass will bust right through and devour it. When I come to any holes in the muck I'll let the bait fall into the hole and twitch/hop it. Then bring it back up to the top of the muck and start to crawl it again. You can also use a very small bullet weight, like a 1/16oz or 1/8. You want a bullet weight that won't be too heavy as to make it fall through the muck, but allow you to crawl it ontop. The advantage to adding this weight is when you come across that hole in the muck the bait will fall faster, this will cause the curlytails in the back to give off more action, though sometimes less is best, you have to find out what they prefer that day.

3. Flipping/pitching. Simply rig the bait with a bullet weight big enough to break through the muck. And hop/crawl the bait as you would a jig along the bottom. Although I must say, I usually prefer a brush hog, or sweet beaver for flipping/pitching, but the wooly hawgtail will definetly work.

I have never tryed it on a carolina rig, because I bank fish, and I always thought this was more of a tactic for boat fishing. Though I could easily be wrong, thats not something I'll talk about because im not experienced in it. But I will say bassnleo is not the first I've heard talk highly about a wooly hawgtail on the carolina rig, so if you fish this rig, try the hawgtail on it.

I am going to be fishing wooly hawgtails this spring.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_45159____SearchResults

For anyone who has fished them, how many fish do you catch per bait?

Just a question on durability

Thanks everyone

As for the fish per bait question, I can't accurately say because I really never kept track of that, but I'm guessing I can get around 6-7 bass per bait, could be a few more or a few less too, this is only a guess. It is a fairly durable bait, the hook will start to slide after a few fish, and in this case, just rerig the bait, this time sticking the hook a slightly different spot of the bait, you know, a dot down from the old hole caused by the hook point, or a dot up from it etc.

I put them on a weedless jig head and was doing pretty well last spring with them. I was fishing it like I would a jig. I used only 2 colors and that was Watermelon and the black and blue one.

texas rigged w a 1/4 or 3/8 weight. Favorite colors are watermelon candy, green pumpkin and blk/blue. Great all around bait. You can atleast get 6 or 7 fish per bait.

The Wooleybeavertail is a good bait for flippin also. They don't make the best color anymore which was a blk/blue swirl type color.